Why do people leave the hobby

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding topic! I think that some very legitimate reasons why people get out of the hobby have been addressed in this thread. I'll just throw in my two cents.
Reefing isn't for everyone. Just like mountain biking or woodworking isn't for everyone. You have to have a passion for it.
How do you know if you have that passion? You try it.
I've been around long enough, and tried enough different things to know that the only "hobbies" that will keep me engaged for the long haul are:
Diving (As long as I can still breathe, I can still dive)
Reading (I'll even read the label on the bowl cleaner bottle when I'm sitting in that certain spot)
Keeping aquariums (I keep fresh and salt water tanks)
There must be some common trait (or mental illness) that reefers share that entices us to devote time, money, and physical/mental labor just to gain the wonder of gazing adoringly upon a box of water that doesn't change much from day to day.
Bottom line. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who try their hand at reefing and find that the passion is just not there. There's nothing wrong with that. You'll never know where your passion lies unless you reach out and explore the possibilities.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have always been folks that get into the hobby and then decide quite quickly, for any number of reasons, that it is not for them. I am sure cost is a factor, as is the amount of time it takes and the level of 'difficulty'. You've got to be interested in this stuff, as opposed to your kid seeing Finding Nemo and wanting a tank.

OP
OP
G

garyfri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding topic! I think that some very legitimate reasons why people get out of the hobby have been addressed in this thread. I'll just throw in my two cents.
Reefing isn't for everyone. Just like mountain biking or woodworking isn't for everyone. You have to have a passion for it.
How do you know if you have that passion? You try it.
I've been around long enough, and tried enough different things to know that the only "hobbies" that will keep me engaged for the long haul are:
Diving (As long as I can still breathe, I can still dive)
Reading (I'll even read the label on the bowl cleaner bottle when I'm sitting in that certain spot)
Keeping aquariums (I keep fresh and salt water tanks)
There must be some common trait (or mental illness) that reefers share that entices us to devote time, money, and physical/mental labor just to gain the wonder of gazing adoringly upon a box of water that doesn't change much from day to day.
Bottom line. I'm sure that there are plenty of people who try their hand at reefing and find that the passion is just not there. There's nothing wrong with that. You'll never know where your passion lies unless you reach out and explore the possibilities.
Yea I started aquarium with some basics and grew. If mountain biked\ I would start will entry or middle bike. I am surprised how many people get out of the hobby with premium-priced equipment. I guess it let me know that those equipment does not automatically equal success I guess.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I started aquarium with some basics and grew. If mountain biked\ I would start will entry or middle bike. I am surprised how many people get out of the hobby with premium-priced equipment. I guess it let me know that those equipment does not automatically equal success I guess.

If you look at the advice on this forum, get the biggest tank you can afford, best equipment once, etc, etc....that is why the newbie is selling off the good stuff.

I started affordable and DIY and am still doing it that way.

I drifted away from the SW hobby when I was working seasonal jobs for several years and after several years at a permanent job, the dusty 38 gallon came out of my parents basement.....I even started up the tank with a trickle filter I had made in the 1980's.

I was seeing lots of 2-3 year burnout in the early 2000's, then the economy tanked and many of the coupled reefers started having kids or were moving away.

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's very possible to start a reef cheaply and simply, however most of the time the knowledge required to do this is only acquired after starting a reef with a high degree of cost and complexity.

I think many people start as "lone wolves" with their only support being online resources, rather than friends or user groups. I myself started this way and I believe it contributed to a more expensive / costly tank initially as a lot of the advice you find focuses on individual component selection as opposed to the establishment of a "system". A lot of the advice this is available is challenging for a newbie to apply.

Many of the above "lone wolves" won't make it beyond their first tank to capitalise on all of their hard won experience due to the range of setbacks and frustrations that can be encountered during this learning experience. I would think that monetary cost wouldn't be as big a factor as we might think, as it's hard to believe anyone would really believe this is a hobby that could be enjoyed on a shoe string budget, especially for newbie's.

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I left after 10 years back in the 2000 as life changed. Got married and was building a house - also knew we would have kids. I got back in early last year after getting my then 5 y/o a small 10 gal with 2 gold fish. After a month my wife said the magic words... “I miss the old tank” it was like Christmas shortly after - about 15 months later here I am...

9A485A31-6369-47B7-B424-D3BB90254612.jpeg

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some build threads where people spend piles of money on a nice big tank, all kind of dosers and the best Apex controller with all the bells and whistles but they have never kept a fish before and then they either get frustrated, realize it is not their thing or bored. Instead get your feet wet first with a 30-40 gallon tank, an HOB skimmer, heater, and power head, and a couple of clowns. Being out $200-$300 is better than. $5000 or more.

OP
OP
G

garyfri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have been running a 75 gallon fish and BTA recently. Got it in a trade for a kayak with all the accessories. My first tank was given to me by family and I bought a canister. Ran fish only (lion fish and puffers) and it was awesome. This is my first time venturing into a large reef aquarium. I also purchased a lot of items, but I do not see myself quitting. If anything occurs I see myself reverting to fish only until everything smooths out and then taking a go at it again. there is a lot of info out there, but sometimes it doesn't matter it just goes wrong.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t think cost was most of the reason people getting out. It’s that sometimes no matter what you do, stuffs just are dying. Or hobbyists got a kid or two, jobs or simply lost interests.

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this hobby is brutally unforgiving to mistakes and lack of commitment. If someone got in to the hobby on a whim they are most likely in for a rude awakening.
I mean, if someone can’t force themselves to the gym a couple of times a week to live longer I can’t see the same person keeping up with weekly water changes and testing for any amount of time.

I also don’t think that it’s conveyed enough that a large part of this hobby revolves around problem management, not something that is everyone’s cup of tea.

Edit: Oh yeah, there’s hardly any instant gratification which is also a turn of.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radion g5 -$900

Or

A new dishwasher/microwave combo.
Or
A new oven
Or
A new bed
Or
A new tv 75 inch

I wonder why people quit?

Then you need to add some t5 to those lights $400
Plus bulbs $25 x 4 $100

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s just frustration a beautiful tank can go south almost overnight. But it seems like forever and a day before things even start to look good again.

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to guess probably near the top of the list would be the first major tank crash. You spend a couple years getting the tank the way you want it. Everything looks good then something outside your control happens and wipes the tank out. The frustration would be enough to put off alot of people. Had that happen to me and I almost quit, but just enough survived to keep me going. I believe that if most people are honest, they're one major crash away from quitting.

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took my kids to the aquarium a few years ago.
at the aquarium they had a huge shark tank/ they had
Sea turtle tank that was amazing. They had a fish only Tank
With fish from around the world. They had all these huge tanks and when I went up stairs in corner they had
What looks to be a 90 gallon tank with some softies and lps
I asked them why they don’t have a larger display of a
Natural reef and the aquarium with a full staff and
Access to anything reef related. Said “no thank you” to
A reef tank lol

we all think we are in control but if your corals start To Die
you will realize that we have no control on what happens in our tanks.

Last edited:

coral408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may categorize two main groups of reefers who decide leaving the hobby. The first and major group are people who relative new in the hobby for couple months or years. After setting up their tanks, either expensive or not, things start going south by lacking of basic reefing knowledges such as proper parameters, lightings, flows, commitments, etc. Being unable to keep corals and fishes alive for next several attempts, these reefers easily get frustrated and give up their hobby. It happened to me once until I found out this great forum! For those with 10+ years reefing experiences, the reasons for leaving the hobby mainly because of unforeseen situations like natural disasters, family issues, moving, etc. Different from the inexperienced group, these reefers have tendency to come back their loving hobby, once conditions are allowed.
That’s my two cents observation.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who enter this hobby never really actually leave. They always come back. Go and try a few goldfish and get bored. They come back.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back