How much do you like reef maintenance?

• Total voters

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaGenesis RoboSnail World's Best Magnetic Automatic Aquarium Glass Cleaner for Fish Tanks (Glass up to 1/2 Inches or 12mm)
Size:Glass up to 1/2"

I have heard about these robotic ones, just don't know anyone that has used it. I remember there use to be another brand, but I might just be making that up. Might be worth trying it out.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard about these robotic ones, just don't know anyone that has used it. I remember there use to be another brand, but I might just be making that up. Might be worth trying it out.
My LFS has one BUZZZZING around a large tank ( not sure of brand ) but it is loud and annoying.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a necessary evil.

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing worse waking up to an issue for staying on top of things for events that for the most part as long as you don't forget leaving something. Lost my shortcake that way... but got 75g now for that loss of space. 2 frags so far introduced. No fish dungeon when maintained proper or if u enjoy it.... it's kinda sad where these has gone. Fake tenius as walts at events. It's a. Just a shame what $ hungry people do to happy people like sharks in the water

image.jpg

Last edited:

NMdesertReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefing keeping to me as a hobby has just as much to do as enjoying the work/maintenance....as it is enjoying watching things grow.

Much like a Gardener likes to dig and toil in the mud to eventually see beautiful things grow....

or a Car Enthusiast always under their car with a socket set to make their car perform better.....

.....as a Reefer, I like all the work/maintenance of a reef bc I get to see my work (husbandry) pay off in coral growth and color.

My family knows to LEAVE ME ALONE when I'm working on the tank. I'll listen to the radio or just listen to silence and enjoy TIME TO MYSELF working.

I dont understand a reefer who just wants to sit in front of the tank 15min a day and think everything else is a flipping chore.

The only thing I HATE is equipment failures...and personal failures when things die bc it was my fault.

Your thoughts......plz

Like you I really like working on my tank, I seems that I have enjoyed working on it more than just sitting back and looking at it.

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the time I get to do my maintenance work on my itty bitty bio cube 16. Gives me a chance to see what's what and forget about the day in the real world. I find it easier then when I use to Breed 1,000000 plus crickets weekly and over 700 Dendrobate poison dart frogs to clean and feed twice daily :)

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy it, the reason I like lower maintenance setups is more out of concern for negative consequences if I don't have time and something happens, not the work itself.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AquaGenesis RoboSnail World's Best Magnetic Automatic Aquarium Glass Cleaner for Fish Tanks (Glass up to 1/2 Inches or 12mm)
Size:Glass up to 1/2"
61j4deVT6BL._SL1200_.jpg

I would try this in a heartbeat but they don't go around corners. I would need three of them for the peninsula...lol. I don't consider cleaning the glass fun, but it is a perfect time to take a closer look at things in the tank.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, hate the fact they don't go around corners. I almost bought a different kind, but it had the same limitation. If there was one that removed all algae, including coaraline, and moved around corners then that would be worth more to me than a controller. Also would need a sensor to make sure it doesn't scratch the glass.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind most maintenance, but the 100 micron filter socks I'm currently using is driving me nuts. I have to swap them out at least once a day. I'm going to purchase the Klir filters once they start shipping.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind most maintenance, but the 100 micron filter socks I'm currently using is driving me nuts. I have to swap them out at least once a day. I'm going to purchase the Klir filters once they start shipping.

Have you considered making your own? Check out the link below...very easy, cheap and disposable. I started about a year ago and can't imagine going back.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-filter-socks.162584/

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't use filter socks... too expensive.

I use 12x12 inch felt sheets in WHITE (no dye). I go to the local craft store and by them in boxes of 36. One box of 36 count costs me under $15 out the door.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do I like prescribing reef maintenance to others, and requiring that as the sole basis for us to continue doing post business together?

I live for it :)

and nobody likes to do it I can tell you that.

They loved the old times that said: don't clean, store up, farm your uglies phase as long as it takes to naturally subside, allocate waste where you cant see it (detritus) to clean is to destabilize.

That kind of instruction is 80% of the reason that invasion help threads never ever cease in this hobby or in forums.

if I can sway a new reefer right off the bat on work requirements, and non storage non allocation of cloud mud, then we're set. They've got stony corals and no invasions as long as they know me and we like it that way. Those who are willing to love maintenance and not be talked out of it are the jedi reefers who will not be invaded I can tell you that for sure, and with mighty proof. of like three individuals

reefers hate maintenance strictly because:

1. they want/demand a self balanced ecosystem right off the bat, and want to avoid manual work at all costs, it was also positioned as detrimental, manually cleaning out waste and invaders, so on top of physically not having to work they are given no biological permission to work either.

2. the reefers who can assemble tanks that are successful by being hands off, cloud storing, uglies-bearing, are advising that to everyone and are never present in the actual cure threads to have to run the cleanup when only about 30% of tanks work well using the totally hands off approach. we are still recycling bad info about how to originate and guide new reef tanks, in my opinion. Why not let an uglies phase kill the first three reefs in learning...by the fourth tank and practice working that hands off approach the LFS has already ordered us tons of replacement animals for the ones killed off on the first three experiments, even after being warned by posts just like this one.

part of the reason my post friends have to work is because killing a tank is not an option. we don't need four attempts in my work threads, your first one ll do.

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try this in a heartbeat but they don't go around corners. I would need three of them for the peninsula...lol. I don't consider cleaning the glass fun, but it is a perfect time to take a closer look at things in the tank.
Just wait, my kids love to scrape the glass althow not as much as at first but I rarely have to

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't do corals, just FOWLR. I have a Xenia to test a nutrient export method (they seem like they will grow in the dirtiest of water)

I like watching the fish to relax. I love their personalities when I approach the tank. I can even see them react when they see me across the house, lol.

But as for maintenance, as in water changes, I frigin HATE it. If I had a better system in place to make it easier it wouldn't be as bad. But just mixing up 20-40 gallons of saltwater in 5 gal. buckets (4-8 buckets at a time) and hauling them from the basement, upstairs, and across the house makes me want to not do it. I need to figure a pumping method without having a big Brute can out in the open all the time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back