Why do socks get a bad rap?

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 220.6 and I still use socks. I change them every 3 days and basically throw them all in a bucket until I only have 2 left (I have about 20 of them) and then throw them in the washing machine to clean. Why is everyone so against them? They seem to be doing a great job for me on filtering out all of the garbage in my tank. They're super cheap and they work. Am I missing something?

Ewok1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 220.6 and I still use socks. I change them every 3 days and basically throw them all in a bucket until I only have 2 left (I have about 20 of them) and then throw them in the washing machine to clean. Why is everyone so against them? They seem to be doing a great job for me on filtering out all of the garbage in my tank. They're super cheap and they work. Am I missing something?
I don’t think you’re suppose to wash them that often

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went from a Clarisea 5k back to socks. The Clarisea does help your water stay very clear, it’s nice for somebody like me who travels from a maintenance standpoint. I went back to socks because I was having issues with the water level changing causing my ATO to kick on messing with salinity on occasion. To me it’s this simple- socks equal another maintenance item.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say as long as you change them often your good to go. It's when you let them get too nasty. I use them and always will, I have changed from the cloth to the nylon style though

The only issue I have is that 7" isn't the same to everyone. I buy socks from different manufacturers and some fit well, some don't.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used them for years and they work great for removing garbage/excess food and generally keeping the water column clean especially when I stir up the tank. As far as changing them I do so when water starts overflowing the top. I do much the same except I collect a 5g bucket until full and then add water and bleach and soak for a couple days. Then I give them an hour wash with extra hot water. Then I do a second 30m cycle with no detergent. I use All or Tide free and clear anyway and no issues with it. I probably have 40+ socks and have been using the same ones for at least 5 years.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is everyone so against them?

Is everybody against them? Seems to me there are a group of folks that swear by them and a group of folks that do not. I think socks can be useful in smaller systems that may eschew things like skimmers, but are less useful in larger systems. I don’t personally use them on my system. In fact, I haven’t had any kind of mechanical filtration for decades. I just don’t find it to contribute much and just ends up as another disagreeable maintenance task.

OP
OP
esther

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is everybody against them? Seems to me there are a group of folks that swear by them and a group of folks that do not. I think socks can be useful in smaller systems that may eschew things like skimmers, but are less useful in larger systems. I don’t personally use them on my system. In fact, I haven’t had any kind of mechanical filtration for decades. I just don’t find it to contribute much and just ends up as another disagreeable maintenance task.

"another disagreeable maintenance task".

Story of our lives. Haha.

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure about the bad rap bit. Socks are useful if you want to reduce particulate and you are up for regular maintenance. I personally have not used any for many years because I couldn't be bothered rinsing them out every few days. They can also cause a problem if they become clogged with whatever and water does not flow properly through them (overflow, spraying etc...).

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"another disagreeable maintenance task".

Story of our lives. Haha.

Yeah, ain’t that the truth. I need to clean out my sulfur reactor ..... I just know it’s going to stink up the house.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like having the particulates in water for the most part

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic. lol

If not, any reason why? Nutrients for corals?

Lol no I’m being serious:)

Yes, IMO filter socks are removing coral food! They keep water clean yes, but I almost like the look of of particulate in water, looks more natural? Idk :)

Back