Why do tank builders take so long?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is quite the funny question to be asking at this time. I suspect the element of trying to build faster (and more specifically, issues with rushing silicone application/curing), may be contributing to the failure rate of one very prominent company and their larger tanks after a couple of years ;).

The easiest component that causes the delay is the curing time of silicone (in the case of a glass tank). Many manufacturers of large tanks will wait a minimum of 2 weeks for a full structural cure. Some will do everything in one shot, while others will build the tank first before moving onto the rest of the components (overflow, etc.). In addition to the curing time, space is often at a premium as you need to have flat workstations that is ergonomic to build these tanks, so there is often a limited number of tanks that can be built at one time. Larger tanks obviously require additional manpower/lifting apparatuses to maneuver the larger sheets of glass/acrylic, so these actions are often slower and more deliberate than maneuvering a three foot piece of glass. Some of the larger sized pieces of glass often need to be custom ordered and those shops that cut their own glass often must wait for available pieces to be cut and polished. Even with the right tools and diamond blades, cutting thicker glass is never as quick as cutting an equivalent sized piece of wood. Then comes the day spent moving the tank onto the pallets or whatever crate you are shipping it in and making sure to secure it so you don't take the hit on a chipped corner when it arrives. There are a few other activities such as ensuring even seams, positioning and removing clamps etc., but all told, each tank takes a fair amount of time to construct. Don't forget, this is a very skilled job and often the number of buyers can outpace the output of well-regarded builders and their team, so there is often a wait. I'm sure there are a ton of steps that I am missing that contribute, but these are some of the steps I noted the last time I visited a local tank manufacturer who was building one of my custom aquariums.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not the actual construction of the tank that tanks long. A builder can receive the glass and have it put together within a couple days. The silicone then needs to cure for a couple weeks, and then they clean up the seams and it’s done.

The reason why it takes many months is the business aspect of running a company. If they were all waiting around to build a tank, it’s fast but that no way to run a business. You need to be working on multiple tanks and projects in parallel. You need to have a waitlist to stay efficient. And all these tank builders make money on building stands as well. Customizing stands is much more time consuming than building the tank itself.

And instead of saying they could easily hire more people. The technical aspects of a well done build I think is something that doesn’t translate easily. A builder puts his name on the tank, and if it fails, or if there are complaints it’s harder to pass off work to others.

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give an example, on my current custom build, there was no movement on my tank build for about 5 months, and then the glass arrived and the whole thing was done in about 1 month and should be shipped this week.

I don’t mean to imply that tank building is quick and easy. You’ve got phantom bottoms, reinforced seams, overflow systems (sometimes external overflows need to be ordered). But the actual build time is not where the large majority of the wait lies.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Impetuous youth! :oops: Sit back and relax....pour yourself a Scotch on the rocks.....and repeat for the next couple of weeks (or months). And when the tank arrives, don't think you're done.....have another Scotch on the rocks....for maybe up to four more weeks. God did his thing in seven days, but building a tank takes a bit longer. :cool: Here's what came with my custom tank:

1594776173876.png

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I'm in no rush. It's just that I was looking at Reef Savvy and how long they take and was just wondering as I've seen tanks glued up and put to dry and ready within two weeks while others have been waiting on tanks for almost a year. Lol. I guess there's the sourcing and management side that I never though about.

I thought the strength relied on the silicone and it's proper application. Am I to believe that if two builders follow the same procedure the tanks aren't equally as good?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent Reef Savvy an email because I'd like them to build me a larger tank to have ready in 2 years when I relocate. I still havent heard back from them.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back