Why do you buy expensive corals/frags? Investment?

Why do you buy expensive corals or frags?

• You like the color and growth pattern and how it fits with the plan of your reef tank.

Votes: 267 42.3%
  • You like expensive corals because it's kinda like a reef status symbol.

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • You buy corals as an investment to make money back from the hobby.

Votes: 71 11.3%
  • You don't buy expensive corals.

Votes: 260 41.2%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 21 3.3%

• Total voters

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like uniqueness, something that sets the piece apart visually regardless of price. Maybe it’s a commentary on me choosing based off a “status” (unique/rare as a status) but some of my favorite corals are one of a kind “no namers”

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly my small tank is getting pretty full and I’ve been thinking of getting a few 100-200 frags just to see if they will grow and so I can trade them but I have a hard time figuring out what to get because the photos seem so doctored that I doubt the frags will look anything like the photos. Suggestions?

Coral Euphoria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly my small tank is getting pretty full and I’ve been thinking of getting a few 100-200 frags just to see if they will grow and so I can trade them but I have a hard time figuring out what to get because the photos seem so doctored that I doubt the frags will look anything like the photos. Suggestions?
Find some pieces that are so common that you could find a lot of pictures through a google search. Look at the vendor pics and find some hobbyist (or non-professional photographers) pics to give you a good idea of what you are really buying. Obviously with this technique you are not going to buy any "new releases" or anything that is rare..

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check locally - IE: craigslist, local clubs, etc. You can find some honest folks out there selling corals at reasonable prices.

Rich Klein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just buy a coral because it is attractive and different than anything else in my tank. I have had no problem finding good deals on corals that I really like.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have over time gotten much more choosy. To the point where I am giving away or consigning a ton of no-name zoas, sticks & montis as they have overtaken my DT.

I do love many eye candy acros and keep a list of what I want, and how they are priced. I do try to attend the regional frag meets, MACNA, Reefapalooza etc knowing what I want and how it is priced. If I see a great frag of something on my wish list and it is priced well..... BAM!

Anybody local want a few pounds of aussie green slimer? Orange cap? Green zoa? Orange?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most expensive coral was a 1" rainbow chalice frag that I paid $300 for a year ago. It's now 1.1" .... so I figure I'll be able to frag it again and make a killing in about, oh, 200 years. Excellent!

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't bought an expensive coral yet. The most expensive one I have was 75$ for this birdsnest because I liked the color and it fit with how I want that rock formation to look. I think that would be my only deciding factor in buying any coral, regardless of price.

IMG_2027.JPG

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't bought an expensive coral yet. The most expensive one I have was 75$ for this birdsnest because I liked the color and it fit with how I want that rock formation to look. I think that would be my only deciding factor in buying any coral, regardless of price.

IMG_2027.JPG
If you got that whole guy for 75 I say win

Beth Villmow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really buy expensive corals, but I do buy good looking coral. to date the most expensive coral that I have bought was a $40 torch, and it now has 5 heads (started with 2). I think its more fear of losing a $100+ coral that would then end up in arguments, and I'm not talking about arguing with myself! haha

but I do like looking at high end stuff and saying "when I win the lotto....."
You and me both!

Neil S.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still learning how everything works.....not going to endanger my reef inhabitants needlessly. (but I really do want some of those gorgeous corals!)

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A guy near me was selling home wrecker frags for 200 and between the worry of killing them and hearing that they aren’t super impressive for most people I just couldn’t do it. At that price need something more likely to survive and thrive

Dacotahk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are plenty of lower to mid priced corals that look nice. I’m in a rural area with the nearest (small) LFS 3 hours away and a city that’s 5 hours away. I have gotten most of mine from online companies and overnight is the fastest delivery when all goes well. I really need to learn more about keeping corals thriving as well so I wouldn’t want to kill any unnecessarily. We have a responsibility to keep the animals in our tanks the best we can.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back