Why do you buy expensive corals/frags? Investment?

Why do you buy expensive corals or frags?

• You like the color and growth pattern and how it fits with the plan of your reef tank.

Votes: 267 42.3%
  • You like expensive corals because it's kinda like a reef status symbol.

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • You buy corals as an investment to make money back from the hobby.

Votes: 71 11.3%
  • You don't buy expensive corals.

Votes: 260 41.2%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 21 3.3%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DISCLAIMER: There is nothing wrong with buying expensive corals. This is just about why so let's please keep the discussion focused on that! :)

I was talking to someone over the weekend at an aquarium show and we started talking about why people buy expensive corals and frags. So thinking off the top of my head I can come to a few possible conclusions.

1. They like the color and growth pattern and how it fits with the plan of their reef tank.

2. They like expensive corals because it's kinda like a reef status symbol.

3. They are buying the corals as an investment to make money back from the hobby.

This should kick off a nice discussion and I would like to hear from you.

Why do you think people buy expensive corals or frags?

image via @lovemyreef
1572891282605.png

badfishaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy expensive corals because I like the way they look and because I am fortunate enough to be able to, however when I sell frags of these colonies once they grow out I usually give them away for half of what I pay to hopefully help someone else out get a cool coral without all of the market price gouging that takes place in this hobby.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really buy expensive corals, but I do buy good looking coral. to date the most expensive coral that I have bought was a $40 torch, and it now has 5 heads (started with 2). I think its more fear of losing a $100+ coral that would then end up in arguments, and I'm not talking about arguing with myself! haha

but I do like looking at high end stuff and saying "when I win the lotto....."

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't buy the high priced corals, at least as far as SPS go. To me they only show their best colors under heavy blue lighting. I run my lighting very white during the day. I would only get the full effect of many of the most expensive corals for an hour or two each night.
For me, I want the coral to look good from 5 feet away under white lighting. I'll pay more for a high quality coral, but not one that only looks great under blue lights.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
because I budget accordingly :

costs.jpg

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how they look and if they grow out, I’ll sell bits for a lot cheaper.

However, I will not spend ridiculous amounts of money on something if it’s ridiculously priced. There’s no way I’d pay more than $50-$80 for one piece of anything.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something tells me that most people who buy coral as a status symbol either don't realize it or won't admit it.
I have to disagree! 99.99% of the people who see my tank have NO CLUE what anything costs, so how could it possibly be a status symbol?

Like many others who contributed to this post, there is only one thing I care about...the beauty of the specimen.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I don't buy expensive . . . . as for the money , I can get colorful quantity than price and I would be awfully upset if I lost a high priced specimen

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't often buy expensive corals, because they're, well, expensive, and I never know how they'll do in my system. When I do buy them, it's because I really like some aspect of them and want to be able to see them in my system, rather than having to go look at them in someone else's tank. I'm not concerned with use of high end livestock to elevate my "status" in the reefing community. I have nary enough time in my schedule for such trivialities.

bearsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont buy expensive corals. In fact, I am often looking for the best (least expensive) deal possible. I like to plan my overall concept, but not the specific components for my tank. I know some folks are going to have a hard time with that. In the end, as long as the tank is meeting your needs then all is right in the world.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back