Why do you use prefiltration.

The most important reason I use prefiltration is.

• To make my water clear of floating debris.

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • To limit nutrients.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • To prevent or reduce nuisance algae.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Reduce detritus in my sand and on my rocks.

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I don't use prefiltration.

Votes: 20 32.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far 36.7% don't use prefiltration. Maybe I should have said if you don't use it state why.
Back when I started reefing in 2000 it seemed "everyone" was stating that sponge filtration/mechanical filtration were "nitrate factories", pull out that sponge was echoed on the forums as well as pull those other detritus collectors (bio balls out).

They need constant maintenance, they say, let the sand bed process the detritus naturally.

Many sumps back then were just converted trickle filters, place for a sponge block or two. I really never heard much about using socks until maybe ten years ago. I had used industrial sized socks before a UV sterilizer at a government hatchery, every few days swap them out.

I don't feel I have an aggressive removal routine for detritus. My DT water passes to the chaeto refugium, then to the oversized skimmer. I occasionally blast my rocks with a turkey baster, maybe once a month, skimmer goes nuts. I may siphon a bit off of my shallow sand bed twice a month. Maybe I'll clean the sump yearly, maybe not. My nitrate and phosphate levels are the lowest they have been for ten years.

I don't use any type of prefiltration like sock or sponges because of my sump/space limitations and I really don't want to be pulling a sponge and cleaning it every few days.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people want what I wod call aggressively cleaned water in that they don't want to see small particles floating or swirling around the tank.under my DT lighting I don't see much but when my 6500k LEDd spotlight is on over my magnifica nem it shows plenty of detritus. That is similar to what you witness on the reef diving or snorkeling.Thats mother nature and it does no harm there in fact it does plenty of good.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave examples in my reply of what prefiltration means. Am sorry your lost maybe somebody else could simplify it for you However, anything designed to remove particulate matter before entering other forms of filtration like biological, algae filtration or skimmer if they are used.
Well Yes, I use mechanical filtration, but not in a pre-filter configuration...

My tank is sumpless. I have an HOB filter with sponges and floss for mechanical filtration and I also have an HOB skimmer. But they both draw water independently, so the mechanical filter is not prefiltering the skimmer in that sense, but I'm still removing particulate matter from the system...

That's why I'm trying to clarify if you are ONLY asking about prefilters in that specific use, or any means of mechanical filtration....

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Yes, I use mechanical filtration, but not in a pre-filter configuration...

My tank is sumpless. I have an HOB filter with sponges and floss for mechanical filtration and I also have an HOB skimmer. But they both draw water independently, so the mechanical filter is not prefiltering the skimmer in that sense, but I'm still removing particulate matter from the system...

That's why I'm trying to clarify if you are ONLY asking about prefilters in that specific use, or any means of mechanical filtration....
If you think about it any mechanical filtration is prefiltration no matter at what stage you use it. The simple reason being no matter where mechanical filtration is put it is removing particulate from the water which otherwise would have gone through other processes within the aquarium or consumed by various marine life. Everything from micro to macro animal life. So post filtration IMO is the same as prefiltration. So it stops particulate matter getting to go where it would without pre or post filtration.
Maybe I should have just said mechanical filtration but that may have also caused somebody some confusion.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back