Why does the Neptune Systems ATK sucks so much?

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so funny how reefers often have opposite experiences. I had to replace the pump on my Tunze 1 year in. (works fine otherwise) My WAVs are by far my most reliable pumps, and they replaced Maxspect Gyres that never wanted to stay in operation. I definitely agree on the salinity probe though. I can use it to see swings, but it's not accurate otherwise. My DOS have been solid.

I'm starting to think that most of the equipment in this industry is junk and sometimes we just get lucky with certain pieces.

Replacing a tunze pump after a year is no big deal. It’s a $20 pump.
My dos works fine it’s just really loud.
I think Neptune’s makes a lot of bad products. You have a lot of people that like Neptune products but I think that every day people are giving less control to their apex.
You even see vendors making products that are not apex compatible.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I'll buy anything if it's made by Neptune" is the short answer as to why it was borderline junk in multiple parts (V1). I can't comment on V2 as I got rid of mine a year before any hint of revised parts was done after a PMUP death, among other things, not worth risking my tank on a promise.

While I don't have any doubts they want to ship solid products, the fact they don't have to and still have healthy sales is a testament to the degree of marketing hook and sunken cost fallacy the general user base has succumb to. Look at some of the comments, instead of walking away from a $200 paperweight, throw more money at it and hope it doesn't become a $250-300+ paperweight. I was once one of those, so I know how it feels.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love my Neptune ATO system. Never a issue. Their dosing pumps though.... omg i hate those things. Two brand new units and they never dose because they are filled with air!

Anyways... Make sure your sensors are in the right spots. Also that 60min delay between pump times should go away until you know its working. If the sensor reads water, it wont pump for a hour if you ahve it set to AUTO in the dashboard. I recommend a 5min delay until you are done with your troubleshooting

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so funny how reefers often have opposite experiences. I had to replace the pump on my Tunze 1 year in. (works fine otherwise) My WAVs are by far my most reliable pumps, and they replaced Maxspect Gyres that never wanted to stay in operation. I definitely agree on the salinity probe though. I can use it to see swings, but it's not accurate otherwise. My DOS have been solid.

I'm starting to think that most of the equipment in this industry is junk and sometimes we just get lucky with certain pieces.
Most people refuse to admit fault, if you listen to people in forums you would not purchase anything.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
V2 pump didn’t impress me.
mine crapped out after a few months. Into the trash it went. I was t using it for topoff. I have the tunze for that.

OP
OP
Clownreef

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input. I’ve been messing with it and nothing.

is there a way to start from scratch? How do I reset it so my Apex thinks it’s brand new?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much atk hate. 1 1/2 years on my atk and only time I had a problem was during cyano outbreak and it covered d a sensor. Quick wipe with finger and haven’t had any other hiccups. I have a sump low sensor right before my return pump so I knew what was wrong at work when I got alarm and could manually add water. Tunze won’t do that.

Only thing I can suggest is reading suncrestreef write ups . He is very good with apex and helped me a bunch of times.

ReillyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had that issues with the ATK when my sensors were not plugged in all the way. you have to push hard

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I can be super happy with neptune overall (the controller itself, the trident, PMK, lunar kit) but express unhappiness with particular products (the Dos and the ATK come to mind). It’s not a referendum on the whole company to say that the ATK is a problematic product.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I can be super happy with neptune overall (the controller itself, the trident, PMK, lunar kit) but express unhappiness with particular products (the Dos and the ATK come to mind). It’s not a referendum on the whole company to say that the ATK is a problematic product.

I’m finding in general it’s almost no bueno in 2020 to speak ill of a product from a popular manufacturer. Unfortunately there's way too much koolaid gang happening with almost every manufacturer right now, to the point people bend over backwards to praise a company’s support when they shouldn't have required it in the first place. X broken or defective component out of the box but oh boy, CS sent me a "free one", best company ever.

Why are people settling for buying products that end up defective, and being happy about it when at best you are returned to what it should have been out of the box? Even more to the point, if a vendor is requiring you put in 30-60 minutes of labour on top of that, how can anyone be pleased, let alone thrilled enough to post all over the forums how great the service is. It’s completely bizarre.

OP
OP
Clownreef

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t seem to get it to work. I guess I’m out $200. Getting a Tunze ATO tomorrow. I wish I could get my money back.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, if it's under a year, you can RMA it, and flip the replacement to someone.

TheKylersFire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total trash. I had one for a week and it’s horrible. Not sure how Neptune botched that so badly and continues to sell it

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back