Why don’t any of my predators like cod ?

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither my Bananna Eel or my Popeye soilderdish will touch Cod (purchased from Whole Foods) but my community fish love it chopped up?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The banana eel will greatly benefit from salmon, a fatty fish with omega 3 and B vitamins which are very important, as well protein and other vits and valuable minerals. Tuna is also great but way too expensive for me to share with my fish. Cod is a good choice for omega 3, protein, and minerals; but is lacking the more valuable B1 which is the most important B vit for predatory fish. Fish like what they like.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk why but I thought you were saying they don’t like call of duty…I’m an idiot lol.

Sorry I’m of no help otherwise

OP
OP
Wtyson254

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he loves squid tentacles, but I have read that it contains thiaminase

does it need to be wild caught salmon?

from what I have read the following are high in thisminase:
krill
Shrimp
freshwater fish
Some mollusks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wild caught salmon is best, farmed fish is grotesque, basically raised in chemical sewage. Shrimp does contain thiaminese, prawns less so; and feeding fresh or small frozen batches helps maintain optimum B vitamins to offset the thiaminese; same goes for squid. Mussels are tops, great nutrients including high amounts of B1. It's really hard to avoid, you just have to limit it, and stay away from high amounts like from krill and rainbow smelt. Silversides is a common name used for many fish, some of the silversides at the lfs is rainbow smelt. Hikari uses Pseudohemiculter dispar, and they do not contain thiaminese.

Mario Griffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king do you know of any articles that speak to krill having thiaminase? I always here people saying that krill contains it but I can't seem to find anything supporting the claim. I have seen articles of certain fish that contain the enzyme but nothing on krill. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the mercury in tuna a concern? Actually is mercury still a problem in tuna? I remember articles about how everyone should limit their intake of tuna because of this. I don't think I have touched tuna since reading that but I'm not sure if it's a problem for tank inhabitants.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king do you know of any articles that speak to krill having thiaminase? I always here people saying that krill contains it but I can't seem to find anything supporting the claim. I have seen articles of certain fish that contain the enzyme but nothing on krill. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Now you have me thinking. I.m not sure if I've ever read a scientific article that specifically names krill(Euphausiacea) as containing thiaminese. Crustaceans are called out as a broad stroke in many articles, that also includes shrimp which are also frequently fed as a primary source. I always recommend buying fresh and only freezing small amounts. The longer frozen, the more degraded vitamin B1 becomes, I have read this in many scientific and nutritional papers. I have witnessed over decades likely hundreds of predators fed primarily krill exhibit symptoms of B1 deficiency like bloating and lockjaw, and die from several months to a year and half. I do feed krill, very sparingly. I use human grade krill, which are opaque and have packed on date and best by date. The ones at the lfs are orange, don't know why, and are certainly sprayed with ethoxyquin, a very dangerous preservative. Many have fought me on this point while feeding dwarf lions. Because getting these guys to eat dead food is sometimes difficult, they will many times eat krill, and only krill. They are always dead within several months to a year max. So feed at your own risk

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the mercury in tuna a concern? Actually is mercury still a problem in tuna? I remember articles about how everyone should limit their intake of tuna because of this. I don't think I have touched tuna since reading that but I'm not sure if it's a problem for tank inhabitants.

What is tuna a lb now, haven't bought any in a while, I bet it's at least $25lb. I eat wild caught salmon twice a week, so that's always my go to.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is tuna a lb now, haven't bought any in a while, I bet it's at least $25lb. I eat wild caught salmon twice a week, so that's always my go to.
I don't understand how there can be so many cans of tuna in every store in the world let alone fresh stuff. It's not like tuna is farm raised (at least not in any great numbers from what I have read). I'm also a bit surprised there are still as many wild caught cans of salmon around simply because so many spawning grounds are being decimated my climate change. Canned tuna and wild caught canned salmon is still quite cheap. I would've thought it would be getting to be as expensive as caviar.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Linking can I feed salmon? It's a local fish and readily available .... I've just always fed white fish and unsure about the pink meat... although my rods is mostly pink.
Thanks!
D

Salmon is by far the best, great in omegas, vit e, multiple Bs. The color comes from a carotenoid called astaxanthin, this is even included in many flake and pelleted foods today as a color enhancer. Astaxanthin will enhance reds, oranges, and yellows.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back