Why is my sump doing this

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8DA9927A-D9D4-4789-8E56-595F864E9414.jpeg

It’s constantly blowing bubbles like a protein skimmer I’ve lowered the water level I’ve raised the water level but still bubbling.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, sometimes a brand new sock will give bubbles depending on where you bought it from, but it shouldn't be doing that 3 days in for sure. If you ever do wash your felt filter socks, don't use detergent. I just use bleach in the washing machine and do a couple extra rinses and then let air dry thoroughly. Anyway, that doesn't seem to be your problem. I'm wondering if you have a bacterial bloom going which could give bubbles in your return area. Is your water cloudy at all or do you have white fuzz around?

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, sometimes a brand new sock will give bubbles depending on where you bought it from, but it shouldn't be doing that 3 days in for sure. If you ever do wash your felt filter socks, don't use detergent. I just use bleach in the washing machine and do a couple extra rinses and then let air dry thoroughly. Anyway, that doesn't seem to be your problem. I'm wondering if you have a bacterial bloom going which could give bubbles in your return area. Is your water cloudy at all or do you have white fuzz around?
I do have white fuzz that I thought was just an invasive type of mushroom coral but I’m not sure?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking like praziquantel or a lanthanum, don't think those things you listed would do it...

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you only have 1 drain line. Im willing to bet your drain is noisy and its sucking air into the line in your overflow. That's whats causing all the bubbles. You should really have a secondary emergency drain and a gate valve on your main drain to prevent this.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought it was acting as a skimmer if you did not have one. When I was battling Dino’s I kept my skimmer off and that would happen in my overflow socks also.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a gate valve to control flow? What’s the GPH on your Returnpump And like the previous post what style drain are you running

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have white fuzz that I thought was just an invasive type of mushroom coral but I’m not sure?
Sorry just getting caught up on R2R after a long day. After reading everything posted, my best guess is that you're not clearing enough organics out of your water with your skimmer and that your return hose isn't far enough under water. It's usually best to have your return line go into a catch basin first and then have that overflow into a sock. That helps get rid of a lot of bubbles generally. Also, adding a jet of water into your sock can keep dislodging trapped detritus and make a nasty splashing mess. However, if you don't have room to do a catch basin prior to your sock, just try extending your drain line (with some tubing) to almost the bottom of your sock. Definitely try increasing your skimming so that your emptying skimmate more frequently to see if that will help. If your blasting your system pump, try reducing that next.
Regarding a bacterial bloom being the problem, that's still a possibility, but I think that's a zebra where horses tread. However, if that white fuzz you see is all over in your tank (not just tucked away in crevices and some high flow areas) and looks like fine peach fuzz all over things, then you do have a bad bacterial bloom and that could generate lots of bubbles in your setup in your sock. The solution to that is too stop adding bacteria products if you're doing that and don't dose carbon (biopellets, Nopox, etc.). Hope this all helps

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of overflow at the DT showing pipes for drain(s)? this would help to try and troubleshoot the issue.
27749313-DD56-420E-A5FE-6CECEF90D82D.jpeg
DBDA3444-9093-4915-B377-9A6B408ACD1C.jpeg
DD74B046-49C4-4550-B557-9E927D3050E8.jpeg
8FBAC67D-E668-450F-8089-7FD45B6F575A.jpeg
0E568C26-343B-40C9-B526-907A6834708F.jpeg

The plastic is to keep the salt residue off of the drywall. I took the sock off and it still bubbled like crazy I wonder if air is trapped in the line? The pipe is 2 inches into the water. I don’t dose any bacteria or anything into the tank. I only have three fish so very light feeding. I do feed frozen food every two weeks to my coral though.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back