Why is no one importing the Dutch Synthetic Reefing products for the US market?

zie2695

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is a method of Reefing called the Dutch Synthetic Reefing method and it is a rock solid method for reef keeping. My biggest problem is that I'm unable to get their products here in the United States and I know I am not the only one that wants to run a DSR tank. Why doesn't any importers or shops bring this to the US market??? No water changes! Been around longer than Triton! Yet still not in the US market?????? What's the deal here guys??
Attached is a response from Glenn Fong the creator of the DSR method, They don't plan on bringing it directly to our market so if it's gonna come to US market it's up to us to have it imported!
http://dsrreefing.com/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DSRProductSupport/
Screenshot_20181228-104430_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20181228-104430_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20181228-105620_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20181228-110645_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20181228-111808_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20181228-105352_Facebook.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd be interested if someone started carrying it!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are we not pushing for this?’
This is amazing way of reefing.
So simple, maintenance is almost zero!
And no water changes!!!!
You have my vote and support!

Maintenance is almost zero? How so? There are lots of different additives.

OP
OP
zie2695

zie2695

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reactors, no refugium, no water changes. All that is done is dosing, very minimal amount of maintenance at all

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few people in the US are running DSR. They buy a year or so worth of product at a time from seaflower in Europe and pay the extra cost for shipping overseas. Buying in bulk isn’t as bad. I bought the product a few years back and found the dsr calculator was easy. I can’t say enough good things about their products and support. Unfortunately, the shipping charges to the US were too high for my taste to continue with DSR.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a method founded in DIY. You can make/reverse-engineer most of the additives yourself using the DSR calculator. Just use pharma/analytical grade salts. Fe+ and the carbonVS and the EZ line are the only ones that you’d have to import if you really wanted those.

It’s a great method that I follow on my reef in New Zealand. I DIY’d my own carbon and iron supplements that work well enough and use a calcium reactor for the main additions, with adjustments made with pharma/analytical grade salts I source locally.

It isn’t zero maintenance at all. Far from it. However, it is much less bother than other methods I have tried, encourages logging of parameters so you are in tune with your tank and only dose what is needed. You can clearly see and understand what is going on with your reef from the spreadsheet. It is also cheaper on systems with large water volumes that would otherwise use a lot of salt doing water changes. As well as the standard Salifert tests, I also periodically do ICP and the method has kept everything in line. I run a bare bottom tank (not recommended in DSR) and run a cryptic refugium to make up for the lack of surface area in the tank.

OP
OP
zie2695

zie2695

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a method founded in DIY. You can make/reverse-engineer most of the additives yourself using the DSR calculator. Just use pharma/analytical grade salts. Fe+ and the carbonVS and the EZ line are the only ones that you’d have to import if you really wanted those.

It’s a great method that I follow on my reef in New Zealand. I DIY’d my own carbon and iron supplements that work well enough and use a calcium reactor for the main additions, with adjustments made with pharma/analytical grade salts I source locally.

It isn’t zero maintenance at all. Far from it. However, it is much less bother than other methods I have tried, encourages logging of parameters so you are in tune with your tank and only dose what is needed. You can clearly see and understand what is going on with your reef from the spreadsheet. It is also cheaper on systems with large water volumes that would otherwise use a lot of salt doing water changes. As well as the standard Salifert tests, I also periodically do ICP and the method has kept everything in line. I run a bare bottom tank (not recommended in DSR) and run a cryptic refugium to make up for the lack of surface area in the tank.

Just to be clear, I'm in no way trying to push a product, just trying to see what my fellow reefers thought on the matter. The reason I asked here and on r2r is because of the large group of reefers I can potentially reach out to and after all this is #askbrstv and isn't there purpose to "put the products to the test"

I don't need this method myself.
I run a double display system on a shared refugim (150 and a 75 on an eshopps r-200 2nd gen) and I have not done a water change in about 3 years with the exception of an emergency 20% water change due to a 13-hour power outage. For the first two years I was dosing BRS 2 part to maintain calcium and alkalinity and dosing Red Sea Trace colors for Trace elements. For nutrient export I have a 3 types of calurpa and cheato in my refugim along with 2 mangroves ( mangroves don't do much )with a kessil h150 purple on 24/7, a really good protein skimmer because I carbon dose with homemade nopox, I have a GFO/carbon reactor, and a deep sand bed. My nitrates and phosphates are low and can be controlled through the amount of nopox I dose.
The only thing that I have changed this last year is that I have gone from two part to a Calcium Reactor with two little fishes Reborn and two little fishes remag.

I have a heavily mixed with Reef with LPS, SPS, sticks, and some very demanding anemones

Saveafish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be interested if someone started carrying it!
Right, like the Triton. Leaky bottles, truck wrecking. Than having to wean back. Yeah No thinks.
#1 reason, dependable supply line. Its like crack, once hook on it, its hard to change off of it.

Land Shark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We’re you by chance able to reverse engineer the DSR iron citrate formula, including the twist? I’ve always been impressed by that component.

OP
OP
zie2695

zie2695

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG...
I wouldn't want a maintenance free tank
During maintenance is when I really notice the little things before they turn into really big things.;Joyful
Is far from maintenance free and requires logging and tracking of parameters

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re you by chance able to reverse engineer the DSR iron citrate formula, including the twist? I’ve always been impressed by that component.
I think Glenn leaves some free iron somehow, to precipitate P. In any event, it’s easy to control P so it isn’t that crucial IMO. His dosing regarding iron citrate (DSR Fe trace), and a bunch of other ions are what inspire me most.

I don’t use any DSR supplements, but I would if they were a bit more affordable in the US. I DIY my own mix of Fe, Mn, Mg, Sr and I. I hope to add in Br and K. I use kalk for alk and Ca. I hope to use Ca Formate once I outrun saturated kalk.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a method that can easily be replicated without using glenn's products specifically.

Yes, obviously a good method, but there's nothing mysterious or magical about it or the products.

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running DSR with additives bought from seaflower for the last 18 months. The ones I use most are:

No3 Additive
Iron (for Po4 reduction)
Iodine

The rest I bought I top off with ICP analysis:
K, B, Sr

I only have a dosing pump and a protein skimmer. I haven't done a water change in 18 months.

Maintenance involves nightly testing for alk (that has nothing to do with DSR) and weekly testing of everything else. Scrapping glass and letting the CUC do the rest.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back