Why is Seachem Prime a problem?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Prime for years in my freshwater tanks as a water conditioner. I've read many posts that say that Prime shouldn't be used in a saltwater setup, but I'm not sure why. I'm always wanting to learn more. I'm not an additive person at all. I believe in finding the source of the problem and fixing it. But I'm curious about why Prime is bad for saltwater tanks.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But is it bad to use in the tank itself if you are worried about a rapid change in nitrates for example due to an unknown fish death, etc? I know water changes and finding the source of the problem are the true answers, but in an emergency would it help protect your fish or cause more problems than it's worth. Does it skew test readings?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm learning from the forum that people are generally anti-additives as a solution to these problems and I agree. But I'm just curious about what Prime does to test readings, etc.

robbrouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there might be better ways to lower nitrates. I;m no expert..

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Prime in emergency type situations such as when QT'ing a fish or dealing with some sort of mini crisis. I use it when I know water changes alone won't work. The thing to keep in mind is if you are you using it for ammonia control, the product binds the ammonia to make it safer. The ammonia test will show a reading.

I wouldn't use it as a means of controlling nitrates. It would just be putting a band aid on an ongoing issue.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Prime in emergency type situations such as when QT'ing a fish or dealing with some sort of mini crisis. I use it when I know water changes alone won't work. The thing to keep in mind is if you are you using it for ammonia control, the product binds the ammonia to make it safer. The ammonia test will show a reading.

I wouldn't use it as a means of controlling nitrates. It would just be putting a band aid on an ongoing issue.

Oh I absolutely agree. Water changes are always my first line of defense. I was just wondering if it could be used in an emergency.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there might be better ways to lower nitrates. I;m no expert..

You're absolutely right. And from what I understand, it doesn't decrease nitrates, ammonia, etc., it just detoxifies it.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just trying to become a more sophisticated saltwater aquarist and I'm interested in the 'why' when people give advice. I get great advice here and I like to look a little deeper.

KC-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime will not negatively effect a saltwater aquarium if used in the right amount. It is in no means a solution to high nitrates or ammonia but rather a tested method of removing chlorine with the added benefit of detoxifying nitrates and ammonia at the same time. I have seen it used on hundreds of saltwater aquariums with no ill effects. Many people use it as a backup when doing water changes to make sure there is no chlorine present in new water.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the use of good RO/DI water, chlorine, nitrates and ammonia are not an issue so Prime should not be needed. Also in saltwater it can make a protein skimmer go crazy and overflow the collection cup like mad since it alters the surface tension of the water. I might would use it in a freshwater tank with tap water but not in a saltwater reef system. The others are also correct in that it does not remove things like ammonia and nitrates but merely binds them up or masks them so the yare not as toxic. I prefer to remove something not hide it myself. If all I wanted to do is remove chlorine, carbon or sodium thiosulfate works fine for that and is cheap.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, but I don't think Prime is a "Slime Coat" sort of product....just a de-chlor-aminator.

I think it's a good idea to have some on hand (any brand, really) in case you end up with a need to use tap water on your tank for any reason.

-Matt

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a good R/O Unit brother, it will save you possible headaches later. Have you had your tap water tested?

Oh I don't use tap water anymore. I buy purified seawater and ro for topoff at my lfs. I use tap for my freshwater tank but have added prime a few times to my reef tank if something dies to protect everything. Btw, I'm a sister.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive used prime for many years. it is a great product. I dont need to use it with my saltwater tanks because I have an RO/Di system. when I do use it, It is for my freshwater tanks, and to declorinate purigen after re-charge. I also use it to detoxify the Nitrites and ammonia when am doing a drip acclimation for a new fish on in an emergency in small amounts.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back