Why is there so much variance with online fish pricing?

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching different fish for my upcoming build, it will be a while so I am really just window shopping.

I have noticed several times that the same fish from different sites have large differences in pricing. Both of those are Biota Golden Cuban Basslets with a $400 difference. In stock on both sites.

I don't mean the few pre-qt'd online stores, I can understand the premium for that service, but just standard fish websites. Sometimes the price variance is half for similar sized fish.

Is there a reason?

Is the $1k Biota Cuban Basslet from Algae Barn hardier or better than the $600 Cuban Basslet direct from the source?

I don't mind paying more for a better product but it seems like many of the ones I see are identical in my eyes.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching different fish for my upcoming build, it will be a while so I am really just window shopping.

I have noticed several times that the same fish from different sites have large differences in pricing. Both of those are Biota Golden Cuban Basslets with a $400 difference. In stock on both sites.

I don't mean the few pre-qt'd online stores, I can understand the premium for that service, but just standard fish websites. Sometimes the price variance is half for similar sized fish.

Is there a reason?

Is the $1k Biota Cuban Basslet from Algae Barn hardier or better than the $600 Cuban Basslet direct from the source?

I don't mind paying more for a better product but it seems like many of the ones I see are identical in my eyes.
There are no price caps. The sky is the limit in the hobby industry.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i’d wait until they run one of their overstock sales…
i’ve seen those cubans listed for like $300-$400 during those biota sales

OP
OP
LightingBug

LightingBug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buy the ones on biota cuz they give back to the ocean...
I will use Biota anytime I can; I like their operation and mission.
i’d wait until they run one of their overstock sales…
i’ve seen those cubans listed for like $300-$400 during those biota sales
I was just dreaming, it will be some time before I get one but thanks for the info.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same reason as corals.
Lots of people will claim to have "master grade" or "AAA" grade items & it will attract buyers seeking the unicorn.failing that they will just tweak the name slightly.the placebo effect works & when you have that good example in front of you and cash or credit card burning a hole in pocket you may convince yourself that good fish or good coral is an AAA grade fish or a master coral & pay the hiked up price

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of two things is happening

Either the secondary sites are hoping people don't know any better and they're buying the fish from Biota after getting a sale, or they're buying them from Biota in advance and hoping to get sales at a higher price when Biota is out of stock. The former happens all the time where people will buy something from such and such a website and that site just ships it to them from Amazon or Ebay or whatever. Seeing as how these are expensive fish I really don't think buyers are that ignorant so the retailers are probably hoping for the second scenario.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back