Why is this acan unhappy?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Schulks
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I only started keeping coral about 3 months ago and this was one of my first. It has grown well for me. It had 3 heads and is sprouting 6 more around it. I am not certain it is an acan I got it from a LFS. It is normally opened up and loving life but I just arrived home from work and it is unhappy. My other coral looks fine in the tank.

Recent parameters in picture. I have been adding corals, switching from red sea B to BRS Soda ash and generally adjusting doses. I also added an AWC about 3 weeks ago. I am only doing 5% weekly now.

I'll be running more tests in a minute but I think they will be roughly ok since all the other coral are ok.

20241011_205322[1].jpg 20241011_205227[1].jpg 20241011_205218[1].jpg 20241011_094046[1].jpg
I think I see a torch right above.
If so, being stung.
 
I think I see a torch right above.
If so, being stung.
Thanks. I think I got lucky and the torch never reached the acan there but that pic/video was from a few weeks ago. I moved the acan to the other side of the tank and that torch is at a friends healing in his amazing reef. lol
 
You’d be surprised how much they can eat.

Typically I feed really well every other day, unless the acan looks like it’s declining. Then I’ll feed daily

By really well I mean feed, wait 10 min and if it opens again, I’ll feed a second time

I did feed them all twice last night but they hadn't ate in months so maybe I'll feed again today.
Do all the heads share a stomach? lol
 
I did feed them all twice last night but they hadn't ate in months so maybe I'll feed again today.
Do all the heads share a stomach? lol
That’s a good idea and I bet they were happy!

Second question is something I’m not sure of and have asked myself many times. I think “maybe”. I try to feed every one but the heads on the side are difficult and tend to drop food until the get more flat. They did grow from the main colony so I do think there is some nutrient sharing going on
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new