Why no love for aquavitro (by Seachem)...?

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on this forum for several years now... 7 to be exact...

And have never really seen anyone talk about, or even mention, any aquavitro (by Seachem) products...

They are made by a solid company, Seachem...

Is it because they are only sold to, and thus sold in, independent local fish stores - and not the big online stores...?

And thus really don't have that online following, etc...?

A lot of their products appear to be very interesting...

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the salt for a number of years. It mixed better than IO Reef Crystals but, I can't say there was a massive difference between the 2 once it was in the tank. Too expensive for me to use now.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes...

Premium brand, aquavitro® is sold exclusively in independent dealers. Our commitment to keeping aquavitro out of big chain stores and off the internet means the independent dealer has the first and best opportunity to service customers that desire the very best products for their aquariums.

This brand has "In store Only" restrictions.
As much as people complain about the big Internet companies, That where a lot of experience and reviews are. I believe people may have a reluctance to purchase equipment that has not been vetted by the big online presence or peers.
I love the idea though!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And have never really seen anyone talk about, or even mention, any aquavitro (by Seachem) products...

Is it because they are only sold to, and thus sold in, independent local fish stores - and not the big online stores...?

A lot of threads about AV fuel.

Love that stuff. Its on auto drip in my tank :cool:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

I used and love this salt- Issue I had was finding it when i needed it

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Salinity salt exclusively for about 8 years or so. It mixes up where I like my parameters to be and it is sold at my LFS. They started selling it in boxes now which I do not like. Once all of the buckets are gone I may switch to something else.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care to expound...?

Lol

I have expounded on. this for decades. Seachem has a lack of understanding of their own products (example: two of them , Reef Calcium and Balance, add alkalinity when they say it does not) , uses nonstandard chemical terms to hide the identity of their products, makes marketing claims on nothing more than a few reports by customers (Prime impact on nitrate), and in the past has aggressively gone after people (such as me) for showing accurate but unflattering data on their products.

They may have been a fine company in the old days when Leo Morin was in charge, but in recent years, they either lack knowledge or integrity.

OP
OP
salty150

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol

I have expounded on. this for decades. Seachem has a lack of understanding of their own products (example: two of them , Reef Calcium and Balance, add alkalinity when they say it does not) , uses nonstandard chemical terms to hide the identity of their products, makes marketing claims on nothing more than a few reports by customers (Prime impact on nitrate), and in the past has aggressively gone after people (such as me) for showing accurate but unflattering data on their products.
lol, I see... :)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Lol

They may have been a fine company in the old days when Leo Morin was in charge, but in recent years, they either lack knowledge or integrity.
You opened my eyes to this and Im starting to what you are saying- Thriving off the name but not the same dependable products

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A recent extensive study by folks in the CHem forum suggest that Prime is not effectively treating ammonia as Seachem claims.
I agree here again- Its a misconception to its value and nothing more than a water conditioner same as amquel and Stress coat. Same with those including it in acclimation- An ammonia binder may help but not this stuff.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Reef Advantage and Reef Builder for years. One 8lb of bucket each lasts almost a year and my MAG is always spot on. 1350-1450.

Every time I try a different 2 part my SPS goes south or it costs too much too use. More the latter though. One problem that seems to happen when I've switched out was my sand clumping. No my MAG wasn't off. Don't even try it. I was all over it. Multiple test kits.

I also use Phosban on occasion (rare) if my phosphate gets out of balance. It is quick and decisive. I can always tell when I need it by light cyano on my sand. Very rare usage though.

All the other products I can't speak to. I have never used them.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Reef Advantage and Reef Builder for years. One 8lb of bucket each lasts almost a year and my MAG is always spot on. 1350-1450.

Every time I try a different 2 part my SPS goes south or it costs too much too use. More the latter though. One problem that seems to happen when I've switched out was my sand clumping. No my MAG wasn't off. Don't even try it. I was all over it. Multiple test kits.

I also use Phosban on occasion (rare) if my phosphate gets out of balance. It is quick and decisive. I can always tell when I need it by light cyano on my sand. Very rare usage though.

All the other products I can't speak to. I have never used them.

Phosban is from Two Little Fishes company.

FWIW, Reef Advantage and Reef Builder by Seachem are not considered a two part system. They are independent alk and calcium additives that are not specifically designed to work together.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that what their AmGuard is for...?

Amguard and Prime are claimed to do similar things with respect to ammonia. Seachem does not reveal its composition or evidence of actual utility of Amguard. I personally would not assume either one is useful without some evidence.

From Seachem:

When should I use AmGuard™ and why would I use it instead of Seachem Prime®?

AmGuard™ is ideal for use in emergency ammonia spike situations. It will bind with ammonia for up to 72 hours and can control ammonia at higher concentrations. AmGuard™ will also remove chlorine and chloramine but Prime® has a wider range of benefits.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosban is from Two Little Fishes company.
Sorry. Phosguard. I had to go downstairs and read it haha. That's how often I use it. Very rare.

I've been using it like a 2 part adding equal amounts of each a day and it keeps things on point. Well over 5 years now. It might not be designed that way but It just works for me and it's very affordable.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back