Why Not make PPM the Standard For Alkalinity ?

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think dKH is the most widely used. Its pretty consistent through reef2reef and youtube videos, including brs, wwc and the like. I like it being read in its own format honestly.

OP
OP
Scrubber_steve

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think dKH is the most widely used. Its pretty consistent through reef2reef and youtube videos, including brs, wwc and the like. I like it being read in its own format honestly.
dKH would be my second pick, for the >>>just pick one already, & everyone use it<<< movement

upload_2018-12-11_11-21-5.png

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use ppm and meq/ L

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is, the measure of ppm in this case is just an "as if", Steve, an equivalent. It has nothing to do with what there really is in saltwater and it is just as outdated or even more so as dKH. Like Randy said, the only real thing would be to express it all as mmol/l or meq/l. The latter one is even better because it also takes into account the charge of the ions. You would see at once how much sodium, calcium, magnesium ions etc. must pair with chloride, sulfate or bicarbonate ions. The problem is, ppm and to a certain degree dKH are everyday units while mmol/l and meq/l contains two units which both are not very familiar to most US citizens. One liter is 0.6242 US gallons and mol or mmol has something to do with the Avogrado constant and is quite an abstract measure for most people. So I fear your revolution will get only a small demonstration.

OP
OP
Scrubber_steve

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is, the measure of ppm in this case is just an "as if", Steve, an equivalent. It has nothing to do with what there really is in saltwater and it is just as outdated or even more so as dKH. Like Randy said, the only real thing would be to express it all as mmol/l or meq/l. The latter one is even better because it also takes into account the charge of the ions. You would see at once how much sodium, calcium, magnesium ions etc. must pair with chloride, sulfate or bicarbonate ions. The problem is, ppm and to a certain degree dKH are everyday units while mmol/l and meq/l contains two units which both are not very familiar to most US citizens. One liter is 0.6242 US gallons and mol or mmol has something to do with the Avogrado constant and is quite an abstract measure for most people. So I fear your revolution will get only a small demonstration.
Thanks for the response Hans.

Would you agree that it would be a positive for the >>hobby << to have alkalinity reported by everyone using just one measurement standard?
People looking for assistance report it in ppm, or dKH, or meq/L. This makes things more confusing to people new to the hobby & those looking to help.
I'm somewhat tongue-in-cheek with all this, but still, I think I make a reasonable point.

I'm not a chemist, & I'm not asking for the method of testing to be changed, just the reported standard.

To make my point; I can use the RedSea Pro Alk test kit & it will give a result on the card in dKH & meq/L.
I then can go here & convert it to ppm, because I like ppm.

I could also buy this Hanna Alk tester today & this is what I would get
upload_2018-12-12_19-49-31.png

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... but ppm would mean sacrificing a better unit to convenience against better knowledge ...:)

Haim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the ratio between carbunt and becarbunat in nature sea water?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 72 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back