OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing the chemistry is all the same. What circumstance would cause this? As I and others have stated we've mixed it for a long time with no effects. Is it common?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing the chemistry is all the same. What circumstance would cause this? As I and others have stated we've mixed it for a long time with no effects. Is it common?
It depends on a lot of factors. If you have higher CO2 in home it’s likely to keep the pH suppressed which discourages precipitation.

The higher the alk, pH, heat, and to a smaller extent, calcium; the lower the magnesium, phosphate, and organics, the higher the likelihood of precipitation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High temps, low air CO2. Adding water to salt. Adding extra alk.

Even with no heating I got this from normal IO over time:

1716654671638.jpeg

OP
OP
TokenReefer

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on a lot of factors. If you have higher CO2 in home it’s likely to keep the pH suppressed which discourages precipitation.

The higher the alk, pH, heat, and to a smaller extent, calcium; the lower the magnesium, phosphate, and organics, the higher the likelihood of precipitation.
I think I get all that. My curiosity I guess was more to why is it on Red Sea and not others. Which brought it to my attention in the first place and then led to, is it that common that there's a strong warning, and what scenario have to happen in order for it to happen, and then, is that a common scenario? I'll look for those threads

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used coral pro salt exclusively for over 3 years. When I mix with a very small low volume pump then mixing time is not factor. When I tried a larger higher GPH pump and went over 1.5 hours then my water had cloudy precipitation in it.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using a mix with low enough alk that you add it, then precipitation is less likely an issue.
Yeah, out of the pail it’s 7.7 ish DKH, I bump it up to 8.3 for the tank. So minimal for sure.

I remember watching a BRS video on salt mixes prior to starting my tank and I remember quite a bit of the salt mixes needed for than 8 hours of mixing to completely dissolve. It also showed the deposits and stability of the parameters over a longer time span. Might be worth watching again to see what type of precipitation occurred.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back