Why observe after TTM?

BurtMacklin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing the TTM for preventing Ich and Velvet and dosing Prazi at day 2 and 8. I have personalized this protocol from information gather from Humble Fish and several R2R threads. I have read a lot of people advising to keep the fish in observation for 14 days after QT, but I am wondering if that is really necessary. I understand there is some risk of a bacterial infection developing later, but if I am preventing Ich and Velvet with the transfers and treating with Prazi, I am inclined to just put them in my DT at the end of QT if they are acting/eating normally. My protocol/timing is listed below with the basis for using this method for anyone who is unfamiliar.

Currently using TTM for 2x Benggai Cardinals in two 10 gallon tanks each with a heater, glass thermometer, 2" PVC tee, air stone (new each transfer), dedicated airline tubing, and a basic light. Each tank gets disinfected with vinegar after each use. Transferring them into a brand new, cycled, 65 Gallon DT + 20 gallon sump at the end.

TTM to Eliminate Marine Ich (Cryptocaryon irritans) and Velvet

Day 0 (Monday 2/15/21): Added to QT #1 6:20pm

Day 1 (Tuesday 2/16/21): Remain in QT #1.

Day 2 (Wednesday 2/17/21): 1st Transfer to QT #2 at 6:00am. Dose Praziquantel (1/2 tsp) at 6pm.

Day 3 (Thursday 2/18/21): 2nd Transfer to QT #1 at 6pm

Day 4 (Friday 2/19/21): Remain in QT #1.

Day 5 (Saturday 2/20/21): 3rd transfer to QT #2 at 6am.

Day 6 (Sunday 2/21/21): 4th transfer to QT #1 at 6pm

Day 7 (Monday 2/22/21): Remain in QT #1

Day 8 (Tuesday 2/23/21): Remain in QT #1. Dose Praziquantel (1/2 tsp) at 5pm.

Day 9 (Tuesday 2/24/21): 5th Transfer to QT #2 BEFORE 5:00pm

Day 10 (Wednesday 2/25/21): Remain in QT #2

Day 11 (Thursday 2/26/21): Remain in QT #2.

Day 12 (Friday 2/27/21): 6th Transfer to QT #1 BEFORE 4:00pm

Basis: Assuming worst case scenario, and velvet trophonts stop dropping off a fish immediately after going into a tank, you have around 48 hours until the tomonts begin releasing free swimmers (theronts) that reinfect the fish. So, a 36 hour transfer moves the fish away from the threat before this can happen. However, velvet trophonts can also remain on a fish for as long as 96 hours, so you have to do more than one transfer at 36 hours.

The "standard" 72 hour transfer (or 71 hours for good measure) can resume only near the tail end, once the threat of velvet is gone and you are just concerned about the possibility of Ich (which can remain on the fish for a longer duration - 7 days).

Day 0 - fish in tank
Day 1 - 1st transfer at 36 hours
Day 3 - 2nd transfer at 36 hours
Day 4 - 3rd transfer at 36 hours
Day 6 - 4th transfer at 36 hours
Day 9 - 5th transfer at 71 hours
Day 12 - 6th transfer at 71 hours

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont even follow the 3 day transfer rule. Ammonia builds up too quickly. I transfer every 24 hours.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every transfer. I do 24 hrs. I do it for 7 days. 12 days is excessive. And too much stress, ich and velvet doesnt stay on a fish for 12 days. At least i have never observed that long before. Generally it falls off after 2-3 days.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mess with trying to keep up with the hours calculation either. I just transfer every evening before calling it a night. Minimal nine nights, then into an observation tank for a couple of weeks that is cycled with some live rock. I feed heavy during TTM, but TTM avoids any ammonia problem.

Why observation? Gives a couple more weeks to acclimate to my feeding and routine, lets the fish get over the stress of transferring, and last chance to catch any problems that may have gotten through TTM. I've got a wrasse in observation right now with a bacterial infection that I didn't see when transferring. If I had put it in the DT I'd probably never got it back out to medicate.

Last edited:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 18 17.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back