Why replace filter sock every 3 days?

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is the general opinion to change filter socks every 3 days? I make my own filter socks. They are much larger than what you would buy and I have tested. They don't clog up and start overflowing for several weeks. I typically change them once weekly with water changes and was just wondering if I am doing something bad? Each time I change a filter sock I have to adjust my skimmer which is a pain to do once a week yet alone every 3 days.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you heard about changes every three days...I change when it's overflowing. What I don't get is that it use to be every 5 days or so...but now it's every 1 1/2 to 2 days. I also wouldn't want to leave it in there for "several weeks" out of fear of decomp, and releasing nitrates and phosphates back into the tank. I'd stick to the weekly changes if it were me.

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read many threads of people changing the sock anywhere from 1 -3 days but I don't see why if it's not overflowing. I will stick to once a week.

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled it out a few times. Water was not as clear and my skimmer section in my sump had a ton of detritus which is a pain to clean out due too space issues.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change mine a minimum of every 3-4 days. I feel there's no reason to let all of the detritus, fish food etc break down in the sock and add to my phosphate levels.

sticky polyps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is, if i am feeding heavily to keep my nitrares and phosphate from being stripped out is it ok to let the sock help add some back the water through the decomposition prosess. I still change mine every 8-10 days when it is overflowing but like to run my tank a bit "dirty" and have good reults with sps like acropora. Actually, i think my water is a bit too "clean" for my zoas which struggle at times.
Also when enough detritus accumulates in my sump itake a turkey baster in there and blow it back ip into my display to feed the corals, i wait till the water clears back up and blow any detritus that settles on any live rock or coral off of them and potentially into the filter sock.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said you make your own filter socks...do you wash the material before adding it to the sump?

If not, that could be what is causing the skimmer issues. I believe there is a starch addictive used in the manufacturing process of new material that should be washed out.

sticky polyps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use them because if not i would have to service other equipment more frequently, they allow me to have more control over my system

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your skimmer should take care of whatever your bacteria don't break down

Your not wrong in your statement, but with me I tend to feed heavily and always had buildup in dead spots in my sump. Running socks helped eliminate that problem like others I'm sure.

rossco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change mine every 4 to 5 days when they overflow. In my case, they really do serve a purpose. I run 2 lighted sections in my sump, one as a refugium with chaeto, and one as a frag tank. The filter sock keeps detritus and chunks of nuisance algae that eventually end up growing in the overflow from reaching and settling in these areas.

An old picture. The lighting over the frags is now T5 like the display.

IMG_0237Large.jpg

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 12.3%
Back