OP
OP
Aaronhome27

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a great service rep go through the system. Had to lock in the Apex IP address with DHCP turned off. All seems to be working now. Time will tell. The issue I was having was that the Apex unit was changing the IP address and possibly the router wasn't recognizing it. I'm not in IT so I'm not going to try to explain step by step as I'd just hash it all up. Needless to say it was a huge redemption for Apex CS. Very happy with the service I'd recieved today. An hour or so over the phone and just letting him do what he needed on the system. Listened to the issue then just ran with it That's more like it. I'd recommend using a powerline from the conversation I had with him if anyone was to go wireless with it.

OP
OP
Aaronhome27

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd definitely foot the extra for the Apex El over this model if I had to replace it though.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Static IP address is definitely a good thing to try when having connection issues. Even when not having issues, it's what I'd consider to be a 'best practice', although clearly a bit more work to set up than just letting DHCP (try to) handle it. When using a static address, it's a good idea (but not strictly required) to also reserve that address for the Apex in your router settings (the Neptune agent may have done this for you.)

Another thing that anecdotally seems to help the wifi connection is having your Apex system powered through a UPS, rather than just a surge suppressor or direct wall outlet.

spifftempo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read over this thread and there many things that folks are touching upon, but to sum it all up it works like this:

Apex connects to the Apex Fusion servers via an outbound connection. Just like you on your computer going to a website. Only in the most restrictive environments would that connection be blocked by a router. I've seen it, but that is typically found in more corporate environments that monitors or restricts the websites their employees access.

I will echo what @Fritzhamer has said here. If the Apex connects fine hardwired and does not connect via a 3rd party wireless device, then likely the issue is with that 3rd party wireless device.

The most common issue with 3rd party devices is they don't forward the client's (in this case the Apex) information appropriately to the router. I have observed a couple of different things happen in that regards, the first is the Apex and the 3rd party wireless device both show up in the router table as one device- not two separate devices. This can cause IP conflicts and such. The second is the 3rd party device works like little mini-router itself but does not pass on the appropriate network information from the router to the Apex. This may cause the Apex's default gateway and/or DNS server addresses to incorrect and not connect to Fusion. The finalyl (and less likely) issue could be this router has registered the Apex as an Ethernet client (because it was originally connected that way) buts now it's coming in under a wireless MAC address, and, well, the router doesn’t like much either…

There are ways to get around all of these issues, but they take a bit of network knowledge. Not to get into how to do this, because every router is different, but essentially the solution is turn DCHP off in the Apex or the 3rd party device, then make a DHCP reservation in the router to make sure there are not future IP address conflicts.

Do I recommend any of this? No. If you cannot connect wired, then I recommend taking a look at power over ethernet adapter. These essentially use the power lines in the house as an ethernet cable. One small box will plug into a wall outlet at your router and another small box will plug into a wall outlet at your Apex/aquarium. You then connect an Ethernet cable from each of the small boxes to the router and the Apex. It essentially makes the Apex hardwired to your network and things like firmware updates could even be done (but hardwired is still better). I would recommend these over a wireless adapter 10 out of 10 times. The other option is to look at upgrading to an Apex. They have wireless built in and can be connect via hard-wire or wireless or both.

@Aaronhome27 , thanks for working with our support team to help you work through your support ticket this today.

-Paul

OP
OP
Aaronhome27

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul you definitely are what gives Apex a good name. The help and patients what greatly appreciated. In stead of tossing a perfectly good device and going elsewhere I'll definitely be purchasing more Neptune products!

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I read your comments a few posts above about how your IP address changed, I knew it was your router. DHCP can be a PITA. Always try and set a static IP address with all your gear if you can.

SecondCityCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem. I would love to hear them tell me my wifi access point is bad. I have a commercial grade Ruckus R710. Three of them actually. Backed by a Zone Director 1200 wifi controller. Ruckus makes some of the best wifi routers in the business. They have thousands of antenna designs built into every single AP they make. The controller is constantly polling every device on your network and load balancing across channels and access points. It learns your environment and then changes which antenna design it uses on the fly for best results. I even have fully implemented 802.11k for zero packet loss as devices move around from AP to AP.

No ****** way is my wifi the problem. And yet once per day, my Apex wifi drops offline and requires me to pull the power to reboot. Apex is the only wifi device I have that has issues.

OP
OP
Aaronhome27

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up buying a netgear powerline adapter and it got me past the problems. With all the adjustments and changes I'm finally in agreement that the Apex just won't run on a wifi adapter. Wish they would have put a warning out in their literature about it instead of saying it would work. None the less it does work on the power line net adapter.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back