Why so many pineapple sponges

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that pineapple sponge are not exactly a bad thing thing but is there a reason that there are hundreds of them in my sump/overflow? I was under the impression that they would die back after a few months. Tank almost a year old.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that pineapple sponge are not exactly a bad thing thing but is there a reason that there are hundreds of them in my sump/overflow? I was under the impression that they would die back after a few months. Tank almost a year old.
I’ve read that they use silicates to survive. Not sure if true but would make sense since they are typically seen with diatom blooms and new tanks. Are you using RODI? Added any new sand or rock? Just a hunch.

OP
OP
Westoncase

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that they use silicates to survive. Not sure if true but would make sense since they are typically seen with diatom blooms and new tanks. Are you using RODI? Added any new sand or rock? Just a hunch.
I do use rodi and i added a small piece of live rock back in October.

chromis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a pineapple sponge bloom at one point and it turned out it was in response to a phytoplankton bloom. I got rid of the phyto by adding a UV sterilizer, afterwards the pineapple sponge population drastically decreased.

OP
OP
Westoncase

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had a pineapple sponge bloom at one point and it turned out it was in response to a phytoplankton bloom. I got rid of the phyto by adding a UV sterilizer, afterwards the pineapple sponge population drastically decreased.
How did you figure out it was a phyto bloom

ReefPodd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sudden pineapple sponge bloom throughout my sump and DT as well. I recently started using an ATO. What’s the significance of RODI/silicates and the bloom?

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch in my sump as well. Had them for months. I use rodi and started with dry rock. Reef marco rock and dry tropic Eden reef sand. I still have alot. And tank has been up since august 3rd.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back