Wife brought it home from the beach?

Michael Cronmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...so I get home from work and find this guy on my cooler...she said he was just on the beach, I didn't know what it was...lol...is there any chance of something bad happening if I try to put it in my tank to keep it alive...just have it in some salt water right now....never kept clams...it is still alive at the moment
c274750d4e71ec53be70ce18f795ad92.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do it.

Correction , have done it.

A bunch.

What ocean is it from. I'm in San Diego , the water is cold so a lot of them don't survive.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a good display tank then don't ever place any wild caught into your main tank without a QT.
The wild caught one might carry some parasite, bacteria that can wipe out your tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer thanks a bunch...still might try it....have you had anything bad happen from beach critters?
No.

The only goofy thing I've had happen was when I put oysters from the store (from the Baja of ca same as turbos) they came with mud on them. I did a fresh water dip and got worms off and scrubbed them.

So do a visual for small starfish and snails. If you do a fresh water dip , shake the clam to keep it closed.

OP
OP
Michael Cronmiller

Michael Cronmiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

The only goofy thing I've had happen was when I put oysters from the store (from the Baja of ca same as turbos) they came with mud on them. I did a fresh water dip and got worms off and scrubbed them.

So do a visual for small starfish and snails. If you do a fresh water dip , shake the clam to keep it closed.
Ok cool, thanks appreciate it [emoji482]

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'ld be nervous about going straight from the ocean to the display tank without some sort of dip. I use pro coral cure. Sometimes hydrogen peroxide too.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in Florida, I stocked an entire tank with fish and critters I caught while diving, and collected NSW for water changes. I never had any problems. :)
Soooo jealous.
Here I'd need a 65 degree tank. And a loan to keep it running.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in Florida, I stocked an entire tank with fish and critters I caught while diving, and collected NSW for water changes. I never had any problems. :)
I used to fish up and keep all the fishes I caught from Huntington Beach, Daytona Beach, Laguna Beach (rays, baby sharks...etc), everything were fine for quite sometime (maybe few years I don't remember exact time) until 1 day like usual I placed a newly fish into a main tank (after 2 months QT) and the old fishes started to die 1 by 1 without any reason within 24 hours and the one that stay alive is a new fish, so it carried something that able to kill off other fishes. I also have same exact problem with wild caught freshwater fishes, you can get everything good for years but only needed 1 bad time, 1 bad fish to wipe out entire tank over night!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back