Wife hates "Blue" light

KingReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my reef tank setup and I am running as close to the AB+ program as I can get my AI Primes to run. My wife hates it! She can't stand the constant blue glow coming from the tank room. Would there be any issues if I dialed the blue and royal blue way down and upped the cool white? I am trying to stay away from using much more than 5% red and green.

Alex C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I agree I’m not sure it would be a huge issue, I suppose it depends on what your trying to grow in the tank though.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Therman is 100% on all channels too. There is no doubt that tanks are different when LEDs are used this way.

White light paranoia runs deep.. ;)

jelee01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you are referring to the “spill” of the light or the general blue from the tank display itself, or both? Mine is a rimless design and I fashioned a DIY floating canopy to reduce the “spill” of the light. Good luck!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stuck some black plastic on the light with double sided automotive trim tape.
IMG_1562-XL.jpg

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I urge you to try full spectrum (12K) for a while. Hopefully you will be impressed at how much more colourful your coral is. The AB+ is meant as a compromise between viewing and growth so it’s obviously not the “best” at both. So pick a spectrum that makes your aquarium nicer to your and your wife’s eye (maybe it will still be AB+).
Not sure what your light controller is but on the Apex I start with AB+ and ramp to 12K at mid day for a few hours then back down again. I’ve never been happier with the colours which are especially nice as I reach full.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the blue glow and so does my wife. Therefore I don’t run heavy blue. Simple as that. White light paranoia is silly. You’ll tank your stock if you constantly meddle with spectrum, or suddenly offer too much. Having a 10-12k spectrum isn’t going to hurt anything in and of itself. Nor do I believe it will suddenly cause an algae outbreak

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I dont like is the light hitting my glasses and bouncing around on the lenses when I am trying to do other stuff so it doesn't really matter what color it is. I covered the emitters so there was no direct path for the light to get to my eyes.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back