Wild Acropora Identification

Peter Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently was in French Polynesia (specifically Moorea, right next to Tahiti in the Society Islands) and came across a thicket of acropora while snorkeling. I haven't been able to ID the exact species yet. Below is a single photo of it, and the rest are all here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DSZ_NA19UYgF7BZbjA4aMqoZwvIXteT7?usp=sharing

I've been trying to use coralsoftheworld.org to help me narrow it down, but I just don't see anything that matches with my untrained eye. One user on a scuba forum thought it was Acropora yongei / Green Slimmer, but corlsoftheworld doesn't list that one as existing in the Society Islands part of French Polynesia.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

IMG_8446.jpg

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try other stag species like:
Formosa
Muricata

Id say both are a good guess considering muricata & formosa are now considered synonymous/same species. (technically formosa doesn't exist anymore as its been merged into muricata.)

Another species that I would compare it with is micropathalma, which would be my guess considering its radial corallites tend to elongate slightly more towards the end of the branches/branchlets like the coral in your photos.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back