Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the explanation, than what would be the difference between breeding wild caught clownfish pairs versus captive pairs
Parents would have to be purchased as such. Your LFS would know best which they are when they ordered them

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the explanation, than what would be the difference between breeding wild caught clownfish pairs versus captive pairs
Cost and Quality.

WC clowns are notorious for being disease ridden, but that may be more a thing of the past.

There are lots of good cb clowns. Unless you’re a a breeder getting wild clowns is

-Andrew

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I think the general thought is that successive generations of captive bread fish are more adapted to living in an aquarium.
Captive bred also less susceptible to disease such as brooklynella, bacteria and flukes

OP
OP
Clowny1221

Clowny1221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred also less susceptible to disease such as brooklynella, bacteria and flukes
I totally agree. But if the LFS do qt wild clowns and you quarantine them once more after purchase, I think there can be a greater survival rate than not doing it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I totally agree. But if the LFS do qt wild clowns and you quarantine them once more after purchase, I think there can be a greater survival rate than not doing it.
Wild- start with giving them a formalin bath for 45 mins or in Ruby rally Pro bath for 90 minutes. Will clear any foreign matter before they go in your tank

true perculas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love wild caughts over designers, although I do like designers. I think wild caughts are a much nicer fish all the way around with body shape and color. But I do plan on breeding them. I’ve bred them in the past and I’m ready to start back up. Wilds caughts also have cleaner genes because they aren’t inbred so they have no deformities.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The wild ones are likely free from defects where some designer captive ones have been inbred a lot or breeders who don’t cull properly leads to defects like smaller fins or pinched heads which isn’t desirable but most people don’t know the difference and just buy the one with the nicest spots.

I would consider buying a wild pair and QT them if I could find some. I never see them local.

Back