Wild collected Sea Lettuce in refugium?

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on holiday in Bali and there is a livelclean beach close by with sea lettuce growing on the rocks.

I just have cheato in the refugium at the moment but was thinking some sea lettuce might add diversity.

What are your thoughts? Had a friend say it grows like wildfire and a no no....

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on holiday in Bali and there is a livelclean beach close by with sea lettuce growing on the rocks.

I just have cheato in the refugium at the moment but was thinking some sea lettuce might add diversity.

It can definitely be a very fast grower. Tangs like it, though, so its a good one to farm for feeding along with Gracilaria. Normally I would say to be careful adding wild things as you can get weird hitchhikers (even though this is coming from the place where we get rocks and such from).

I will say read into your countries laws about bringing plants and animals from out of country. I know in the USA this can be a huge issue, bringing back plants and animals from other countries.

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can definitely be a very fast grower. Tangs like it, though, so its a good one to farm for feeding along with Gracilaria. Normally I would say to be careful adding wild things as you can get weird hitchhikers (even though this is coming from the place where we get rocks and such from).

I will say read into your countries laws about bringing plants and animals from out of country. I know in the USA this can be a huge issue, bringing back plants and animals from other countries.

Wouldn’t be a problem where I live, but good point. I would also definitely dip it before adding it...

NewbieReefer11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hahaha the US is slack compared to Australia and NZ... I can understand why but it still sucks

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

It grows like crazy. Be careful for hitchhikers! If you have any tangs, they should take care of any that might make its way to the display tank.

Back