Wild collected Sea Lettuce in refugium?

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Joe Batt, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Joe Batt

Joe Batt Active Member Build Thread Contributor

I am on holiday in Bali and there is a livelclean beach close by with sea lettuce growing on the rocks.

I just have cheato in the refugium at the moment but was thinking some sea lettuce might add diversity.

What are your thoughts? Had a friend say it grows like wildfire and a no no....

2. Labridaedicted

Labridaedicted Wrassetastic Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

It can definitely be a very fast grower. Tangs like it, though, so its a good one to farm for feeding along with Gracilaria. Normally I would say to be careful adding wild things as you can get weird hitchhikers (even though this is coming from the place where we get rocks and such from).

I will say read into your countries laws about bringing plants and animals from out of country. I know in the USA this can be a huge issue, bringing back plants and animals from other countries.

3. Joe Batt

Joe Batt Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Wouldn’t be a problem where I live, but good point. I would also definitely dip it before adding it...

4. NewbieReefer11

NewbieReefer11 Active Member

Hahaha the US is slack compared to Australia and NZ... I can understand why but it still sucks

5. AlgaeBarn

AlgaeBarn Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

It grows like crazy. Be careful for hitchhikers! If you have any tangs, they should take care of any that might make its way to the display tank.

Joshua2598 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted