Wildlife near you :)

a55_zpsonwkvama.jpg


We've pretty much got all the usual stuff here including some invasive species but I'm closer to the coast now and on a chain of lakes so the coolest stuff to me are the birds. We get bald eagles, assorted hawks, kites, ospreys, owls etc. over the house or in trees in the back yard. Our little dog is not too fond of the situation and requires escorts outside to not be someones dinner. The bald eagles are really flighty and have yet to get a good pic but here's one of our more common osprey visitors. Love the sand cranes that visit daily too. The things look like pterodactyls when they fly. Below is one of the babies whose head has not turned red yet. This year our resident couple has two babies. Last year there were two but one must have been eaten. They are protected but someone I know told me country folks refer to them as "ribeye in the sky" :eek:

wl1_zpsdf48f98b.jpg
 
We where in the military housing at Santo Terrace. It wasnt horrible, but much prefer Owning our own place and that was never(least very unlikely) to happen in CA.

lol speakin of squirrels looky what I gotta hold today :D I volunteer at our county animal shelter, take photos do basic command test kinda thing trying to get the animals adopted rather than the other option. (cause the BS county wont budget for such.... they dont advertise the animals At all and are only open 1 to 4 on the weekday so get no foot traffic. city budget seems to think it's cheaper to just off them if no one picks them up...so bunch of volleteers get to do it. Got a whole mass team of photographers, advertisers, temp rescue homes, and transporters.)
Mostly Tons of kittens and dogs.....well today someone dropped a baby squarel on the door step :/ and they asked me to drive it to the wildlife rescue group in town....so I totally took photos :)
13906712_10210143126112228_226922196490076910_n.jpg


("cough" kinda thought about kidnapping him.....but as he was going to an expert and my cat might eat him. So best not )
 
Nice everyone! I love this thread. Obviously we are all some form of animal lovers on this forum and there are members from all over the world. This thread should be awesome!
 
some of my daughters photos from walks at the park. So many different critters in Florida it would take a couple pages to post all the things we have seen here.
Also our pet squirrels we raised from babies(Family friends are landscapers and mom was not seen for day or so. They were very dehydrated. Started with 1ml feedings.
Their name are Bob and Marley :)

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_9748.JPG

IMG_9801.JPG
 
We where in the military housing at Santo Terrace. It wasnt horrible, but much prefer Owning our own place and that was never(least very unlikely) to happen in CA.

lol speakin of squirrels looky what I gotta hold today :D I volunteer at our county animal shelter, take photos do basic command test kinda thing trying to get the animals adopted rather than the other option. (cause the BS county wont budget for such.... they dont advertise the animals At all and are only open 1 to 4 on the weekday so get no foot traffic. city budget seems to think it's cheaper to just off them if no one picks them up...so bunch of volleteers get to do it. Got a whole mass team of photographers, advertisers, temp rescue homes, and transporters.)
Mostly Tons of kittens and dogs.....well today someone dropped a baby squarel on the door step :/ and they asked me to drive it to the wildlife rescue group in town....so I totally took photos :)
13906712_10210143126112228_226922196490076910_n.jpg


("cough" kinda thought about kidnapping him.....but as he was going to an expert and my cat might eat him. So best not )
Did you happen to see the Calgary shelters spot they did to promote adoption, I thought it was pretty funny.. Let me find a link..
 
some of my daughters photos from walks at the park. So many different critters in Florida it would take a couple pages to post all the things we have seen here.
Also our pet squirrels we raised from babies(Family friends are landscapers and mom was not seen for day or so. They were very dehydrated. Started with 1ml feedings.
Their name are Bob and Marley :)

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_9748.JPG

IMG_9801.JPG


Great pics!
 

I used to have a squirrel at my old house we named buddy who would always take peanuts from my hand:) I just found that we have a 3 legged squirrel running around where we live now, so I started putting out food for him because he looks so skinny. I am hoping to have him do the same in time:D
 
and new like for you mjk :)

my son found this guy.... they are all over but normally really skittish but this one was just chillin on his shoulder! blue tailed skink
13925347_10210089587133787_7172500510755354803_n.jpg

We had tons of those when we lived in NC. Kinda glad I've never seen one here. One of the dogs favorite pastime's is eating lizards and those skinks make dogs pretty sick.
 
snake1_zpssmaexah3.jpg


This is one of my friends I call slick. I have quite a few around the house and this one is probably about a year old. He has a bad habit of getting in the pool area and cornered by my killer mongrels. Most of them are pretty calm when I catch them but this one likes to bite hence the glove. The indigo's and the black snakes keep the bad snakes at bay (yes anything that can bite and possibly kill me, family or mutts is bad in my book). My neighbors seen some rattlers in the past (one killed numerous cats) but nothing in the few years I have been here. Surprisingly being on a lake no moccasins and no copperheads so far. But we do have a healthy population of coral snakes. I've seen three here and that's one more than I've seen elsewhere in my lifetime which were all very small. The one that crossed by my pool and got away (was going to give him a one way ticket to the local herpetarium) was at least 2ft long. With about a 1 hour DOA on his bite he's not very welcome. Pretty sure for the dogs it would be a quick end of the line.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new