Wildlife near you :)

GroverSenpai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's some of the coolest wild animals you've spotted in your neighbourhood? Or have you heard of any interesting wildlife news around you? Share them here!

To start off, on my recent trek in my local nature reserve, I've spotted a Malayan Palm Civet, a family of Smooth-Coated Otters, an Oriental Pied Hornbill, and a flock of Coconut Lorikeets :)

Also, a Malayan Tapir had recently been sighted in the island, the first in many years!

50d72fe0fffc0cedb45963f82f2c52f9.jpg

*photo is not mine

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been having a pack of coyotes come by our house every night. Also people in the area have seen Cougars and mountain lions. We are close to a green belt area with lots of trees. I guess that the trees are perfect cover for them to hide during the hot daytime hours.

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live well within the city limits, but Nashville is pretty woodsy. In my neighborhood, I've heard most TN owls, a raccoon lives in one of our storm drains. Deer on a ridge behind my house. Tons of squirrels, foxes, etc.

OP
OP
GroverSenpai

GroverSenpai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some cool wildlife you folks have up there! I've yet to spot any large mammalian predators, largest predator we have in these parts are saltwater crocodiles :)

Must be really lucky to have seen so much within your neighbourhood, over here we've to visit nature reserves or remote areas, the wild animals have learned to steer clear of civilisation save for your average pigeons, roaches and rats. Once in a while we receive calls that a python or monitor lizard made their way into someone's house but other than that nothing grand really :/

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love wildlife, spent my entire childhood exploring the wilderness. Whenever I see a good looking pond and have some time to waste I start looking around for some cool critters. Caught a baby snapping turtle and a northern water snake, that really the best I've encountered. Me and my friend were cruising in his firebird and found a musk turtle which was cool, too bad I can never find these guys when I'm actually looking for them. I've been to creeks at nights in the early spring where you can hear an amazing chorus of spring peepers singing their hearts out. I love going into forests during fall and looking under rocks and logs for salamanders getting ready for the winter hibernation, they're some of the coolest little critters I know of.

Summer's hear too so that means it's snake season so I'll be having lots of fun with that :D

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocky mount nc....and found a name :D thinking its a Copes Gray Tree Frog
That's what I was thinking, either a gray or Cope's gray. The only way to tell the difference between the two is by their call, or by a genetic test. Copes has twice as many chromosomes as the gray, and it's call is one octave higher, from what I recall from college herpetology :-D

I love those little guys.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, it's funny ya posted this because just the other day I was standing in the backyard. I heard this noise coming from the shed area, all of a sudden 2 cocker spaniel sized groundhogs started charging towards me! (kinda slowmo cause they're a little chubby lol)
I wasn't sure what was happening so I just stood there. As they got closer I was a little worried. Then about 6 ft away I realize one is chasing the other as the one behind the other stops and stares at me, and I literally had to step out of the way from the other. The one that would have hit my legs just kept running full speed right on passed me as I stepped aside. lol
Then the bigger one that was staring at me, all gray hairs poking out everywhere, just lazily turned around and walked back to under the shed.
Here's one groundhog we saw the other day.. We do get deer all over too since we live next to a wooded area on the edge of the city. WP_20160620_17_49_03_Pro.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
javalinjune26.jpg javijune9th.jpg

We have Javelina, which are not true pigs but rather Peccary. They do have large intimidating canine teeth and have been known to kill and seriously injure dogs and any person that gets between a Javelina and the dog...I have about 50 that live on the property. I actually think they are pretty cool.

deermay11.jpg

We also have 18 different species of Rattlesnakes, Gila Monsters, and Tarantula.

All images were taken off my deck.

redsea01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just love observing the wildlife around me. Nothing too out of the ordinary usually, but let me tell you...the amount of Bunnies here is INSANE...like you will see anywhere from 3-7 just going on a little walk around the neighborhood. It's so much fun to see. I also tend to see a decent amount of Ruby Throat Hummingbirds; I just saw one today on my bee balm. :)

OP
OP
GroverSenpai

GroverSenpai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have some really cool finds, nice to see people sharing the amazing encounters they've had so far :) @Tahoe16 where are you located? I thought Peccaries were found only in South America, no?

Back