Will 10 ml daily be effective using No3:PO4-X for the first time.

bamafied1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will dosing 10 ml a day of N03P04-X be enough to feed bacteria populations and eventually begin to drop nitrates?

I have an approx. 200 gallon (757 L) system mixed reef. I currently have been using a large skimmer and gfo reactor for nutrient export. I have been using api for nitrates but just acquired the Hanna HI782 high range nitrate checker. My Nitrates tested at 29.1 last night and my phosphates are sitting around .3 right now.

I have had NO3PO4- X for a while but I haven't used it as I have been waiting for my new Reef Dose 4 to come in to start dosing it. The Instructions call for approx 22.5 ml to be dosed daily (3 ml per 100L). I'm new to carbon dosing and don't want any adverse effects so looking to start a lot slower. FWIW my phosphates are sitting around .3 right now. After reading up on the buddy and Redfield Ratio I'm looking to drop nitrates into the 2-4 ppm range and P04 into the 0.1 - 0.3 range.

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, but it seems like if you have excess nutrients why would you add more? Does this product contain live bacteria? If it doesn't I am not sure why you would want to add more to feed the bacteria that already are overwhelmed with nutrients. Hopt that makes sense. Good Luck-bump!

Oh, Adding carbon, I should have read further. Still a maybe! Good luck with getting the biology working for you! It's a great battle but you can win this.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bamafied1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know, but it seems like if you have excess nutrients why would you add more? Does this product contain live bacteria? If it doesn't I am not sure why you would want to add more to feed the bacteria that already are overwhelmed with nutrients. Hopt that makes sense. Good Luck-bump!

Oh, Adding carbon, I should have read further. Still a maybe! Good luck with getting the biology working for you! It's a great battle but you can win this.
I have a decent amount of rock in the tank, however I don't use any other biomedia in the system nor do I have a deep sand bed( only enough to house a few species of sand wrasses). I didn't want to put in too much that its just in the system not being consumed. My guess is that if that were to happen it could have negative effects on not just the coral but potentially all of my livestock. My daily dose is only .0011 percent of my total volume so it's extremely diluted just trying to err on the side of caution.

Thanks for responding though!

Picture is of my tank

Attachments

• Tank Pic.pdf
    13.1 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Upvote 0

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 260g that I just started dosing nopox on. According to red sea, my starting dose should be about 30ml. I started at 10ml/day and after the first week, I noticed that the phosphate rise started to flatten out a little (but still going up) and nitrates didn't budge so I upped it to 20ml today. I'll recheck in another week and if I'm still not starting a downward trend, I'll increase to 30ml.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bamafied1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 260g that I just started dosing nopox on. According to red sea, my starting dose should be about 30ml. I started at 10ml/day and after the first week, I noticed that the phosphate rise started to flatten out a little (but still going up) and nitrates didn't budge so I upped it to 20ml today. I'll recheck in another week and if I'm still not starting a downward trend, I'll increase to 30ml.
Awesome thanks for sharing! I've read a few other posts that have stated that it took 3-4 weeks to start to see a drop in nitrates. Do you use any bio media or have any sort of deep sand bed? If you start seeing trends in your results(good or bad) keep me in mind!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bamafied1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates tested at 22.9 today, phosphates at .31 would like to add that when I tested phosphates on day 1 gfo was exhausted and I did not replace as I am trying to have nutrients reduced by nopox.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bamafied1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty tested this evening and Nitrates were sitting at 23.4 and phosphates were down to .24 from .31 yesterday. Very interesting results, makes me want to test both again but I'll just test tmrw ;Wacky

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bamafied1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates down to 20.4 and phosphates at .25 after testing this evening.

What was the verdict with your nitrates and phosphates?

Upvote 0

View Badges
What's the hurry ? Take your time don't kill anything go slow, sounds like going to fast to me

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bamafied1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the hurry ? Take your time don't kill anything go slow, sounds like going to fast to me
No hurry at all, the post in general was to see if cutting recommend dose to less than half( of what was recommended), would still be effective. Just putting my experience out there with daily tests seeing as a lot of my reading has shown that it takes a few weeks to start to change. I hear what you are saying in terms of speed but I feel like due to the accuracy of the Hanna checkers the rate of change might not be as quick as it seems. My first reading of 29.1could theoretically have been as low as 25.65 and my reading of 20.4 could theoretically speaking be as high as 23.4. Tank has still been looking good though.

Upvote 0

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates down to 20.4 and phosphates at .25 after testing this evening.

What was the verdict with your nitrates and phosphates?
Nitrates haven't budged at all. Still around 32ppm. Phosphate came down from 0.49 to 0.36. So I increased the dose to 30ml.

Upvote 0

TheBiochemist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, in my case, NOPOX didnt do much to PO4. However, its highly efficient in decreasing NO3. I started slow and it took few weeks to see the effect. Then, I increased the applied amount and after some time, I was able to drop NO3 to 0. Then, I came back and decrease the amount to approx. 4 mL per day (140 L nano). With this, I can simply keep my nitrates between 5-10 ppm... Great stuff.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bamafied1220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, in my case, NOPOX didnt do much to PO4. However, its highly efficient in decreasing NO3. I started slow and it took few weeks to see the effect. Then, I increased the applied amount and after some time, I was able to drop NO3 to 0. Then, I came back and decrease the amount to approx. 4 mL per day (140 L nano). With this, I can simply keep my nitrates between 5-10 ppm... Great stuff.
Thanks for the feedback, what did you decide on for phosphate export?

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back