Will 2k Gyre work with 1K Controller

Mustangtodd97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an Icecap 1k Gyre. I really like it, but the motor is finally just about dead. I looked into replacing the motor, but for not much more $, I can buy the 2k gyre (pump only). I would like to buy the 2k pump, and use it with the 1k controller. Has anyone done this? Or does anyone know if it will work? I really don’t want to spend the extra $ to get the new controller with the 2k pump. I’m a set it and forget type guy, so it is just not worth it to me. I do want to stick with the gyre. It fits perfectly into the limited space I am working with, and i love the flow! Thanks in advance for the help.

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an Icecap 1k Gyre. I really like it, but the motor is finally just about dead. I looked into replacing the motor, but for not much more $, I can buy the 2k gyre (pump only). I would like to buy the 2k pump, and use it with the 1k controller. Has anyone done this? Or does anyone know if it will work? I really don’t want to spend the extra $ to get the new controller with the 2k pump. I’m a set it and forget type guy, so it is just not worth it to me. I do want to stick with the gyre. It fits perfectly into the limited space I am working with, and i love the flow! Thanks in advance for the help.
Write an email to Icecap they should give you the answer, the 2k controller works with 1k pump, so maybe your idea can work to.

I’ve asked this question before myself. The manufacturer told us no, although they do have the same connectors. I’ve asked internally, too. Nobody has tried it. Now, I am in no way encouraging anyone to do this. But if one did not take them at their word, they could buy a 2K “pump only” and find out for themselves. If it didn’t work or blow them into smithereens, that person could then buy the new controller with peace of mind. The price is the same whether you buy the 2K/controller bundle or buy them separately (except for shipping, perhaps). But I am not going to be the guinea pig!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back