Will anthias eat from an autofeeder w/ ring?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will anthias, like bartletts, eat out of an autofeeder and it's ring? Or will they only eat out of the water column?

I have an autofeeder and am looking to create a lot more fish poop in the tank. Anthias are great, but I know they need to eat a lot, throughout the day. I have an autofeeder that I can constantly pump food out of, but if my clowns eat it all, that'll defeat the purpose and make for some fat fish.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Point a powerhead under the feeding ring. As the pellets drop they will get 'blown' in the current. This will better elicit a feeding response. Some anthias are unlikely to accept pellets, but many species will if trained. Bartletts and lyretails are among the easiest to train on pellets.

U

User1

View Badges
They are more open water fish that strike from behind a less calm area if that makes sense. Much like if you have ever hunted or stalked a Trout. You see the speed of a river but the Trout will hide behind a boulder or tree for example saving energy. Then food floats by and it darts out, eats it, and returns. I've seen my Anthias do similar and that is one reason why I created a open water area within my tank. Having said that I have a auto top off that is attached to my sump and it is right over the intake of my return pump. This way the food gets scattered and goes all over the place giving everyone a chance to eat.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back