Will Dr. Tim's Kill My Shrimp/Snails?

Diver4242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to order the Dr. Tim's Waste-away and Refresh and follow the process for getting rid of some dinoflagellates in my nano tank (13.5 gallon).

But I'm worried about the comments in his process about livestock. It says they can't guarantee snails and shrimp will survive the black-out period. I have a red-banded pistol shrimp paired with an orange-spotted goby, and don't want to lose them. Other than that, just two small clownfish, a few trochus and nassarius snails and blue-leg hermit crabs. I don't have any other tank or place to put them. I think the shrimp would have a nervous breakdown if it didn't sand to dig in and the goby by it's side.

Will they be safe or can I skip or shorten the blackout period? I saw comments in the dino threads saying it wasn't effective (the blackout part).

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends the type of dino to whether a blackout will work. I have small cell amphidinium dinos and it takes a 10 day blackout to work... and then they have come back each time eventually.

Post some microscope pics if you want a more precise dino identification.

I've used waste away without problems to snails and shrimp, but i didn't do it with a blackout.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends the type of dino to whether a blackout will work. I have small cell amphidinium dinos and it takes a 10 day blackout to work... and then they have come back each time eventually.

Post some microscope pics if you want a more precise dino identification.

I've used waste away without problems to snails and shrimp, but i didn't do it with a blackout.

It is the refresh part he is concerned about. The waste is away is definitely safe with the shrimp and such.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, have you tried raising nitrate and phosphate (if they are at or near 0)? I had good luck with dosing those, then adding waste away and eco balance (and then repeating the nitrate and phosphate dose when they shot back down).

OP
OP
D

Diver4242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, have you tried raising nitrate and phosphate (if they are at or near 0)? I had good luck with dosing those, then adding waste away and eco balance (and then repeating the nitrate and phosphate dose when they shot back down).

Yes, my problem is low (zero) phosphates and nitrates. Reading threads here, but so many conflicting suggestions. I'm feeding more, but should I add seachem flourish phosphorus or something? How to dose nitrates? My glove polyp and zoa are shriveling.

I ordered the Dr. Tim's Waste-Away and Refresh and an protein skimmer, but those actually *decrease* nitrates and phosphates, so should I try to get those levels up first, and how do I do that??

Thanks in advance for any help.

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to order the Dr. Tim's Waste-away and Refresh and follow the process for getting rid of some dinoflagellates in my nano tank (13.5 gallon).

But I'm worried about the comments in his process about livestock. It says they can't guarantee snails and shrimp will survive the black-out period. I have a red-banded pistol shrimp paired with an orange-spotted goby, and don't want to lose them. Other than that, just two small clownfish, a few trochus and nassarius snails and blue-leg hermit crabs. I don't have any other tank or place to put them. I think the shrimp would have a nervous breakdown if it didn't sand to dig in and the goby by it's side.

Will they be safe or can I skip or shorten the blackout period? I saw comments in the dino threads saying it wasn't effective (the blackout part).
I recently used Dr. Tim's Waste Away. And it did NOT go well for me. As soon as I poured it into tank.... POOF. A hugeeeee white Cloud formed and took over my entire tank. I followed instructions that were given if that happens but I didn't have a UV sterilizer so basically I just had to wait it out. I literally could not see a single thing in my tank. My water numbers was as close to perfect as you, could get but bc my light broke a cpl weeks be4 I had to borrow a friends and it was wayyyy stronger than my old one and I ended up w some hair algae. Hence the whole reason I was using Dr. Tim's in the first place. On day 3 I was getting worried bc my corals were ticked at me from getting no light and didn't even want to open. My snails were acting weird (which is usually how I tell right away if something is off in the tank) and I lost my hammer AND my torch.
I was super sad and decided I had to do something be4 I lost anymore. My LFS told me to wait a cpl days but on day 4 I decised to do a large water change, swapped out my chemipure w a new one and cleaned out all filters and filter socks and canisters leaving just a little for the bacteria. Aftter about a week, things started to clear up and after 2 everything was back to normal. Minus two of my fav corals =( . Idk why it happened but that was just my experience with that stuff. Won't be using again!!!

Attachments

• 20201123_214748.jpg
    20201123_214748.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 20201124_223434.jpg
    20201124_223434.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 50

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back