Will Eclipse M Overflow Work Long Term with 3/16" gap on Wet Side?

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried to get it all in the title. I drilled the hole too high behind greedy, trying to maximize water volume, and now the inside of the overflow doesn't quite clear the inside trim of my Low Boys. The inside of the hole is a little jagged anyways and it looks like the outside box's seals might keep things water tight?

Just wanted to see if anyone else has installed an overflow with a small gap between the glass and the wet box. I figure I could trim the back side of the wet box and never use the top lol. Appreciate any constructive feedback I could get. I did try to search/google and couldn't find anything so figured it would be worth asking. Thanks!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just installed an Eclipse L yesterday and thankfully it lined up. It seems like you have some options, but my concern is that the overflow box will flex when you tighten every thing down which could lead to a small leak or eventual failure. Have you thought about adding another gasket between the inside of the overflow and the glass and possibly thin rubber spacers at the corner of the box (also between the inside of the overflow and the glass)? Good luck!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put a 1/4” gasket between the skim box and the side of the tank to keep things square and you’ll be fine. Something like this.

OP
OP
H

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put a 1/4” gasket between the skim box and the side of the tank to keep things square and you’ll be fine. Something like this.

Love this idea. Any idea how to best cut out the center? I'm thinking box cutter but I'm sure there's a more effective tool. Thank you both for the responses!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may want to consider clamping two pieces of scrap wood together with the gasket material sandwiched in the middle and then use a hole saw to drill your hole. Good luck!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this idea. Any idea how to best cut out the center? I'm thinking box cutter but I'm sure there's a more effective tool. Thank you both for the responses!

Hole punches for small ones; exacto knife for larger ones. Box cutter will do in a pinch.

OP
OP
H

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nvm... thought I read 3/8 gap.
One is worse than the other. I drilled 2 before really test fitting (yah, I know lol). I can't really think of a downside of using a spacer slightly bigger than the gap?

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just so you know the inside box leaks regardless... e.g. if you plug the holes in the exterior box and add water to it, it will leak inside the tank... as long as the gaskets are on the outside between the glass and external box you should be good.

Also, if you don't want to see a water line on the lowboy you'll have to glue a piece of acrylic or something across the teeth of the box or the slots will be too low...

AACC5F1E-33B0-4FE9-AC26-B67046C89D01.jpeg

Last edited:

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spacer thickness shouldn't matter, as long as you can get a few full turns on the bulkhead.

I had the waterline issue Coastie is talking about. I ran a strip of plastic that i drilled in three places and ran nylon screws through that and the teeth in the overflow. adjustable up/down to set the water level.
ghost alteration.jpg

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
spacer thickness shouldn't matter, as long as you can get a few full turns on the bulkhead.

I had the waterline issue Coastie is talking about. I ran a strip of plastic that i drilled in three places and ran nylon screws through that and the teeth in the overflow. adjustable up/down to set the water level.
ghost alteration.jpg

That's awesome! Much a better solution to my couple dabs of superglue LOL

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adjustable weir fence works well to set a better running level inside the display (deep blue has them on their tanks), but just be mindful that it won't stop the tank from draining down to the bottom of the teeth (or through bulkheads) when the pump is off. Just plan sump volume accordingly.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
black nylon nuts and bolts available at RC Hobby stores (under $1)
black plastic strip free at the local plastics supplier (scrap)

OP
OP
H

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're in the wrong hobby.
:cool:
Nah. I'm not. Coral aquaculture is my thing... I know where I need to spend money and where I can skimp intelligently (hey, my overflow cost me 50% more than the aquarium itself!)... this is one case where cheap vs not as cheap is just an issue of aesthetics and how much time I'm willing to put into it (I won't know until I actually do it... could go either route or use nothing at all lol). My original issue was just getting the wet side box to sit flush against the glass (with or without a spacer of some sort) so the water line at the weir is just an afterthought :).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back