Will having a longspine urchins improve chances at having banggai cardinals breed?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Banggai cardinals live amongst urchin spines in the wild, and as such I thought having a longspine would make them feel significantly safer and maybe have a place to deposit the kids. If I want to breed banggais(gotta make some coral and fish money back lol), is it useful to pick up an urchin?

b1llvance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you need an urchin. They just need lots of food and warm temps in my experience. The babies take refuge in the urchins and I believe are beneficial once you have babies. Or something easier than caring for the urchin just make a fake urchin and they’ll use it.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay found them (or at least a fake urchin) very helpful....
Finally, do you have an urchin in the tank? I seemed to find that having an urchin made for a better release of the fry, to the point where we made fake longspine urchins for them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I gave that some more thought - it may be that the fake urchins allowed the fry to school up amongst the spines (we were having trouble with the fry going over the overflows). I guess I can't say for certain that the urchins helped with fry release, but they did help with fry survival.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In looking for some other research papers, I came across this one where they made fake urchins:

This is many years after we made our own fake urchins, I should have written a paper myself (grin).

Jay

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatively or in addition to the urchin, an anemone or fake anemone could potentially help too (I'd love to see statistics about if either urchins or anemones actually help though):
They're certainly pretty nems - and they host Bangaii Cardinals too - it's just a pity they've got such a potent sting.

"Over the 15 survey sites, six species of anemone were recorded as hosting Pterapogon kauderni. In order of descending frequency these were: Actinodendron sp., Heteractis crispa, Entacmaea quadricolor, Stichodactyla gigantea, S. haddoni and H. aurora (Table 2). The associated P. kauderni were predominantly recent recruits and small juveniles; however, a few adults were observed close to the anemones, including brooding males."

Source:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had a breeding pair of Bangaii Cardinals in a 20 gallon tank many years ago ( 18-20) and I used fake plastic freshwater aquarium plants. The type that had the long skinny branches.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back