Will high nitrates kill microfauna?

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished cycling my tank a few days ago and my nitrates are very high (about 100ppm). I already planned on getting some chaeto for my refugium, so I was thinking about buying already and let it absorb the nitrates, but I'm afraid that in those conditions the pods that may come with the chaeto will die. Does someone have any idea whether or not is it worth it to buy the Chaeto or wait for the nitrates do drop first?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished cycling my tank a few days ago and my nitrates are very high (about 100ppm). I already planned on getting some chaeto for my refugium, so I was thinking about buying already and let it absorb the nitrates, but I'm afraid that in those conditions the pods that may come with the chaeto will die. Does someone have any idea whether or not is it worth it to buy the Chaeto or wait for the nitrates do drop first?
Your nitrates will not drop very much unless you add a ton of chaeto. Give it a lot of time and make sure you have enough P04 and other nutrients for.the chaeto. I doubt the high nitrates will have much effect on the pods.
Like said above; you are better off changing out 90% of the water to reduce the nitrates.

OP
OP
BitFix

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates will not drop very much unless you add a ton of chaeto. Give it a lot of time and make sure you have enough P04 and other nutrients for.the chaeto. I doubt the high nitrates will have much effect on the pods.
Like said above; you are better off changing out 90% of the water to reduce the nitrates.
Right now the fish are in quarantine and will stay there for about a month or so. Guess it's gonna be water change week. Also do you know if I don't add ammonia to the tank during that month, will the cycle crash? I didn't want to add more nitrates to the tank

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria will not die in 1 month. However the population will decline some. I would add pods and feed the tank once a week just to keep it up. The pods will help consume film algae. Also this is a good time to get into the weekly 10% water change routine.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back