Will my eel eat other tank mates when lights go out?

Oscar Perales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a Snowflake eel just the other day. I tried feeding him when I got him but wasn’t eating the krill I bought him. I tried again today around 9pm. Still didn’t wanna eat. I know he’s active at night so I’m wondering if he’s gonna try and eat my goby or blue tang once the lights go out. Should I be worried?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its a risk. they generally dont but being hungry. . . well . . . . . .

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drop decent chunks of Scallop in the water..... all the fish pick at it, and my eel darts out when it sinks! Just dump food in..... your eel will get it

Mine has never bothered any of my fish.

Also, for what it’s worth, I have Peppermint shrimp, Fire shrimp, Skunk shrimp, and Coral banded shrimp...... all just fine. I have caught the skunk cleaner actually cleaning the eel’s teeth (or whatever it has in it’s mouth) and he stays out, mouth open, and just goes with it.....

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to eels and just got a snowflake a week ago too. I researched that they may not eat first day, so I didn’t try.

Day two I used tongs and waved food by the cave I knew he was in. I left there and he did come out and investigate.

Day three during normal fish feeding he came out, guess he was hungry, I waved food in front of him and he took some.

I tried krill, squid and silversides.

Day four-five I left him to fend for himself, figured if he was hungry he would come out and eat. He did, he ate my cleaner shrimp. I wasn’t upset or shocked, my tank has been going predator and I was surprised shrimp made it that long.

Day six I put food in front of cave again during feeding, he snatched a piece.

Today is day seven, I did the same, put food in front of cave. He didn’t eat it right away, but there’s left over food around, so hopefully he comes out and eats later.

Yes, they are predators, they will eat fish. It’s a risk.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue tang is safe but it depends on the size of the goby compared to the eel. While snowflakes are pebble tooth eels and fish are not necessarily on the menu, a large one right from the ocean with smaller fish may partake. Yes try feeding after lights out, snowflakes generally take to feeding pretty easily given time, but on occasion some may need live ghost shrimp to get them started.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a greyfaced, but it's also a moray, so I assume similar behavior.

Mine has never touched fish. Even fish it could easily swallow. Even when hungry. That being said, shrimp and crabs are a total no go for me. Eats them on sight. Snails and hermit crabs have been okay so far.

If you want to feed at night, I drop a thawed half shell clam in the tank and he grabs it, thrashes around until it rips the clam out. Pretty cool to watch.

Side note. Eels typically love krill, but please do not exclusively feed krill. They contain high levels of I believe it is thiaminase, which breaks down B vitamins. Not a problem if you vary the diet. Shrimp, clam, squid, scallop are all favourites of my eel.

OP
OP
O

Oscar Perales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a greyfaced, but it's also a moray, so I assume similar behavior.

Mine has never touched fish. Even fish it could easily swallow. Even when hungry. That being said, shrimp and crabs are a total no go for me. Eats them on sight. Snails and hermit crabs have been okay so far.

If you want to feed at night, I drop a thawed half shell clam in the tank and he grabs it, thrashes around until it rips the clam out. Pretty cool to watch.

Side note. Eels typically love krill, but please do not exclusively feed krill. They contain high levels of I believe it is thiaminase, which breaks down B vitamins. Not a problem if you vary the diet. Shrimp, clam, squid, scallop are all favourites of my eel.
Thanks man! Great input!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back