Will my floor hold ?

oscaaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I recently just purchased my 1st home. And want to upgraded my tank. I currently just have a 20G long as a frag tank. But was wanting to upgraded maybe max to a 75g display with a 40sump (~115g system ). But not sure if my floor would hold . House is a High Ranch built in 1970.
I located 3 floor joist by where my tank would sit not sure if it would hold. Please help thanks.

** tank would sit right where the current tank is at. And blue tape is where my stud finder says the joists are**

IMG_2247.jpeg

Last edited:

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen anyone have trouble with a system under 120 gallons. It’s especially helpful if the joists run perpendicular to the tank.

Unless your floor is in really bad shape, I would think you’d be fine at that size and weight.

OP
OP
O

oscaaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen anyone have trouble with a system under 120 gallons. Unless your floor is in really bad shape, I would think you’d be fine.
Floor looks in good condition esthetically , it squeaks a bit when I walk around the area but nothing crazy

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to find out is to set up a new tank and see how it goes. If you don’t think the floor is solid you never should have purchased the house.

Unless the builder and local county Building Department were/are shady I would expect that the house would be able to handle that load without skipping a beat.

If the floor is screaming and buckling when you move around then I would be concerned. Looks like a beautiful hard wood floor that is solid and sound but I had to write all that other stuff just to get you thinking about how nice that new tank will look when you get it set up!
God Bless America, it will hold just fine!

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 2,000 pound (+/-) California King waterbed sitting on roughly a 4'x6' pedestal in my upstairs bedroom for many years with no issue. I'm sure you'll be fine.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 fine. With that level of concern you are going to be a great reefer. Good on you for asking.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many years ago when I first got married I lived in a really run down, junky apartment. The floors would bounce a lot when someone would walk across them, and I still had a 75g and 55g tank on that floor without any issues.
I would put a tank on your floor and not think anything of it.

TheWoos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefullu this helps....

The height of the tank essentially determines the pounds per square foot of the tank since the Length and Width changes expand the footprint of the load spread. There are other elements such as materials of the stand, glass thickness e.t.c but the height of the tank with water alters the PSF since it increases the weight over the same surface area. The shallower the tank the safer the load.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back