Will my Midas blenny get along with my other fish?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy’s been my qt bully but then again, it’s a small sad environment for any fish. Wondering if it’s best to rehome him or if he may get along in my 110g DT. Other residents:

- yellow wrasse
- flasher wrasse
- blue sided wrasse
- yellow tale damsel
- engineer goby
- 2 ocellaris clowns
- 2 cleaner gobys
- 1 disbar anthias (female)
- 1 Lyretail anthias (male)
- yellow stripped blenny
- lawnmower blenny

Would love some feedback. It’ll be a serious pain catching him on the dt if he needs to be removed.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas Blennies can be a but aggressive until the leadership rules are established in the tank. Once those are set, then they seem mostly peaceful. But they will get very aggressive with other fish that have an elongated look about them. You may have problems with the other blennies.

Mine viciously attacked my diamond goby after a couple years of being peaceful. I'm not sure what brought this on. But once i added a small tang to the tank, aggression had been less... the tang put the Blenny in its place almost immediately.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas Blennies can be a but aggressive until the leadership rules are established in the tank. Once those are set, then they seem mostly peaceful. But they will get very aggressive with other fish that have an elongated look about them. You may have problems with the other blennies.

Mine viciously attacked my diamond goby after a couple years of being peaceful. I'm not sure what brought this on. But once i added a small tang to the tank, aggression had been less... the tang put the Blenny in its place almost immediately.
Such a gamble. Perhaps I should invest in. Tang... what kind did you get?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a gamble. Perhaps I should invest in. Tang... what kind did you get?
I have a Tomini Tang... but any of the bristletooth tangs should work in a 110g tank. You would want to add the tang last after the peaceful fish are established.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tomini Tang... but any of the bristletooth tangs should work in a 110g tank. You would want to add the tang last after the peaceful fish are established.
We’ve got a few more fish we want to get first. A tang was gonna be with the last 3 that went in all at once. Can’t decide on the kind we should get. So many options

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve got a few more fish we want to get first. A tang was gonna be with the last 3 that went in all at once. Can’t decide on the kind we should get. So many options
Well the size of the tank will dictate the type of tang you can keep. So, that will help to narrow down the options. The bristletooth class is what will work since they don't get too large.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the size of the tank will dictate the type of tang you can keep. So, that will help to narrow down the options. The bristletooth class is what will work since they don't get too large.
That’s where we’re leaning plus maybe a yellow tang too. We’ll see how the tank is doing once all other fish are in :)

tailoftwogobies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have a midas blenny in our tank currently & he’s honestly… our most mild fish. he hangs out on top of the cleaning magnet & just watches everything going on but when the pumps are shut off or it sees us near the glass he swims over kind of in a ‘hello’ manner.. our clown fish are more aggressive than it is lol!!!

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Midas never bothers any other fish and is most timid. having said that it is the only blenny in my 6ft tank.
I've had a bad experience in the past keeping tomini tank with a bicolor blenny. Tomini forced the blenny in its cave till it starved. I am getting a yellow eye cole soon. but it will go out in case it bothers the blenny 1 bit. I'll prefer to have a midas then a tang in my tank.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.
If he runs the qt he will rule the state.

Give him another chance somewhere else.

Advice only your mother can give, and today is my day.
Happy Mothers Day GIF by Hallmark Gold Crown

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have a midas blenny in our tank currently & he’s honestly… our most mild fish. he hangs out on top of the cleaning magnet & just watches everything going on but when the pumps are shut off or it sees us near the glass he swims over kind of in a ‘hello’ manner.. our clown fish are more aggressive than it is lol!!!
May I ask how bog your tank is and what other fish you have?

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.
If he runs the qt he will rule the state.

Give him another chance somewhere else.

Advice only your mother can give, and today is my day.
Happy Mothers Day GIF by Hallmark Gold Crown
The qt is a 20g bare bottom sad little environment. The DT is 110g. Do you think that will make a difference at all?
Ps - happy Mother’s Day

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The qt is a 20g bare bottom sad little environment. The DT is 110g. Do you think that will make a difference at all?
Ps - happy Mother’s Day
Some individual fish are mean. You have one.

Not the first either:

QT is where you put fish to figure out their issues. :)

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some individual fish are mean. You have one.

Not the first either:

QT is where you put fish to figure out their issues. :)

oh no.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a Monday morning after Mother’s Day Story.

I will be brief:
Once upon a time a nice lady brought in a butterfly fish back to the Local fish store to return it claiming; “This fish bullies my Trigger Fish.” The employees at the store did not know what to do? How could they give the nice lady store credit for a butterfly fish when her story about the fish was totally unbelievable? Certainly her tank must be sick and she wanted to return the now infected butterfly before it became symptomatic? The story of a mean butterfly fish was causing them severe cognitive dissonance and they didn’t know what to do?

I directed staff to give the nice lady a refund/credit and she left the store happy. The store staff were still befuddled and asked; “What should we do with this butterfly fish?”
“Put it in the trigger tank” replied the store manager. “I want to see if this story is true.”

It was.
The end.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a Monday morning after Mother’s Day Story.

I will be brief:
Once upon a time a nice lady brought in a butterfly fish back to the Local fish store to return it claiming; “This fish bullies my Trigger Fish.” The employees at the store did not know what to do? How could they give the nice lady store credit for a butterfly fish when her story about the fish was totally unbelievable? Certainly her tank must be sick and she wanted to return the now infected butterfly before it became symptomatic? The story of a mean butterfly fish was causing them severe cognitive dissonance and they didn’t know what to do?

I directed staff to give the nice lady a refund/credit and she left the store happy. The store staff were still befuddled and asked; “What should we do with this butterfly fish?”
“Put it in the trigger tank” replied the store manager. “I want to see if this story is true.”

It was.
The end.
That was hilarious. Point taken. Thank you

tailoftwogobies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask how bog your tank is and what other fish you have?
40 gal. we have 2 small clowns, 2 big yellow watchmans that are paired, a midas blenny, a hi fin goby, a hector goby, a neon goby, a fish that just swims upside down and hides (lol) can’t remember it’s name off the top of my head & a baby, tiny yellow watchman. all seem to live in harmony & mind their business for the most part.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back