Very Aggressive Midas Blenny

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Midas Blenny has been in the tank a few months now with a pair of clown fish and he (or she haha) has been very aggressive. I know this is odd for a Midas Blenny and that sometimes fish have odd personalities. Does anyone have any tips to get him to calm down? I've been feeding more times per day and that has helped but not entirely. I can't take him back as I purchased him online and don't have an lfs or I probably would have. Beautiful fish but very mean lol.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who was added first and is the blenny larger than the clowns, by any chance?

OP
OP
jadwv2210

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns were added first and had been in the tank quite awhile before the Blenny. The Blenny is quite a bit larger than the clowns though which I figured had something to do with it. The tank is a 40 gallon breeder which I forgot to mention in the OP.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns were added first and had been in the tank quite awhile before the Blenny. The Blenny is quite a bit larger than the clowns though which I figured had something to do with it. The tank is a 40 gallon breeder which I forgot to mention in the OP.
I've heard of this before. I think the solution was to put the blenny in a acclimation box so he gets used to the clowns.

OP
OP
jadwv2210

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of this before. I think the solution was to put the blenny in a acclimation box so he gets used to the clowns.
Do you think it would help to do that now? He's been in there for a few months now and hasn't really shown much improvement other than with more feedings per day.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it would help to do that now? He's been in there for a few months now and hasn't really shown much improvement other than with more feedings per day.
I don't see any other choice other than A)returning him or B)finding a slightly more aggressive fish to balance the peace?
Not sure how old your tank is, but maybe a RTBN might help keep the clowns safe, if they actually hosted it?

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a midas blenny once and heard that they had great personality, but once I addee him into my display tank, I noticed my Bali picasso clowns fins all nipped. I started watching my tank more closely and I noticed that midas blenny constantly chasing and nipping their fins. After I took the blenny out, my clowns were much happier amd the fins grew back. I was lucky to give the midas back to the lfs store I bought him from. If I were you, I would get rid of the blenny on Craigslist or give it to a fellow reefer.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there other fish in the tank, or is it just the clowns and the midas? In the wild midas blennies mimic, and school, with squammipinnis anthias. Sometimes adding a few open water planktivores can help redirect aggressive behavior. Whether a small group of anthias or zebra dartfish, this may help.

I don't think in this case that a social acclimation box will help much.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen as well, if your feeding more and it's still being aggressive I would remove him. No sense in waiting if it's already been a few months. That's what I had to do...

OP
OP
jadwv2210

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there other fish in the tank, or is it just the clowns and the midas? In the wild midas blennies mimic, and school, with squammipinnis anthias. Sometimes adding a few open water planktivores can help redirect aggressive behavior. Whether a small group of anthias or zebra dartfish, this may help.

I don't think in this case that a social acclimation box will help much.

Just the blenny and clowns. I see him swimming and picking algae off the rocks and glass all the time. My tank is 40 gallons so are there any small schooling fish like that that would go well?

I had plans to get an RBTA or other bubble tip nem and my tank is well over a year old now.

I sadly don't know anyone close to me who is in the hobby and there isn't an lfs around either. I've been trying to get my boss into the hobby but he's a little reluctant lol.

I bought these fish because of their almost certain peaceful demeanor knowing that I wouldn't be able to take them back. But just like people you sometimes run into someone who just isn't very nice.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the blenny and clowns. I see him swimming and picking algae off the rocks and glass all the time. My tank is 40 gallons so are there any small schooling fish like that that would go well?

I had plans to get an RBTA or other bubble tip nem and my tank is well over a year old now.

I sadly don't know anyone close to me who is in the hobby and there isn't an lfs around either. I've been trying to get my boss into the hobby but he's a little reluctant lol.

I bought these fish because of their almost certain peaceful demeanor knowing that I wouldn't be able to take them back. But just like people you sometimes run into someone who just isn't very nice.
Without wanting to add too many more fish, the midas may have to go.

OP
OP
jadwv2210

jadwv2210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without wanting to add too many more fish, the midas may have to go.

I am definitely going to add more fish. I wanted to add a wrasse but with the blenny being so aggressive I figured the wrasse wouldn't do well. I'm looking for someone to take him but I doubt I'll have much luck. Maybe this will be an excuse to start a larger FOWLR tank so I can have some of the other non reef safe fish out there.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back