Will syphoning GHA/Diatoms through filter floss keep water cleN

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will syphoning GHA/Diatoms through filter floss keep water clean?

I do t have a filter sock or sump, but want to clean out hair algae by sypohning water into ATO bag of filter floss would this keep the water free of suspended algae strands?

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, yes. Manual removal is an important step to solving these issues. Replacing water every time you siphon out the algae is time consuming, expensive, and can impact chemistry if you do it a lot and water doesn't match exactly.

When I was battling dinos I would siphon out a gallon or two at a time so the only practical way was to siphon through a fine sock and then dump the water back in.

Of course that is just one part of a complete treatment regimen but an important part.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do t have a filter sock or sump, but want to clean out hair algae by sypohning water into ATO bag of filter floss would this keep the water free of suspended algae strands?
The filter floss will help, but probably not yield the results you're after. I would look at a 100-micron filter sock (or even finer).

OP
OP
G

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, yes. Manual removal is an important step to solving these issues. Replacing water every time you siphon out the algae is time consuming, expensive, and can impact chemistry if you do it a lot and water doesn't match exactly.

When I was battling dinos I would siphon out a gallon or two at a time so the only practical way was to siphon through a fine sock and then dump the water back in.

Of course that is just one part of a complete treatment regimin but an important part.
I’m at a loss for treatment ideas beyond manual, it’s not awful just will not stop coming back I have no idea what to do

water params are right around 3ppm N very very low phos

OP
OP
G

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter floss will help, but probably not yield the results you're after. I would look at a 100-micron filter sock (or even finer).
Do you have a recommendation to substitute the floss for? It’s in a ziplock, packed tightly into the hose, and secured with a rubber band, at a loss haha!

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pump with attachment that goes to a sock with added filet floss and works pretty well but kind of a hassle. I now put a polishing pad cut to fit in my bubble trap right before my DT pump and my god that will catch anything, I replace it daily or if I am cleaning up algae I replace it after a few hours. (50 micron)

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stuff a mesh sock into a normal 300 micron filter sock. Like a sock in a sock. This way the algae and gunk are easier to rinse off the mesh sock and then I can throw the filter sock in the wash.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a recommendation to substitute the floss for? It’s in a ziplock, packed tightly into the hose, and secured with a rubber band, at a loss haha!
Whenever I syphon/clean my sump I run it through a 100-micron filter sock. It seems to pull out an incredible amount of stuff (including things you wouldn't think it would catch).

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I didnt' read you post carefully enough. I siphoned thorugh a filter sock that I got off amazon. Filter FLOSS would be less than ideal. I put the sock into a bucket, siphoned into that, then let it drain a bit before puring the bucket water back in.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Diatoms are likely to all pass through filter floss. I imagine that you would need a filter porosity below 10 microns to start snagging diatoms. You should have better luck capturing GHA filaments

OP
OP
G

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms are likely to all pass through filter floss. I imagine that you would need a filter porosity below 10 microns to start snagging diatoms. You should have better luck capturing GHA filaments
Ah, It’s brown hair algae, I’m assuming it’s diatomic (but as I type that I’d hate to think I’m adding silicates as RO water is from LFS)
so in attempt to beat it I’m trying to manually remove it. I’ve attached photos (back glass razor scrubbed 4days ago)

frags growing presumably the same thing have shedded much growth after H2o2 dip, looking for more permanent solution

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 18

Jared Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, It’s brown hair algae, I’m assuming it’s diatomic (but as I type that I’d hate to think I’m adding silicates as RO water is from LFS)
so in attempt to beat it I’m trying to manually remove it. I’ve attached photos (back glass razor scrubbed 4days ago)

frags growing presumably the same thing have shedded much growth after H2o2 dip, looking for more permanent solution
If you have a sump get a hose about as thick as your finger and start a syphon from the tank to the sump. Put the hose in the filter sock in your sump and you can syphon for hours without turning off your return. I put on some good music, crack a beer and scrub and syphon til I am done.

OP
OP
G

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I syphon/clean my sump I run it through a 100-micron filter sock. It seems to pull out an incredible amount of stuff (including things you wouldn't think it would catch).
Made a run to the LFS and they had a 200 micron bag, does anyone know if this is going to be more sufficient than plain filter floss?
Is the a way to double up the bag on itself to possibly achieve 100 micron filter quality?

OP
OP
G

GobyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a sump get a hose about as thick as your finger and start a syphon from the tank to the sump. Put the hose in the filter sock in your sump and you can syphon for hours without turning off your return. I put on some good music, crack a beer and scrub and syphon til I am done.
No sump! But I was thinking about relaxing with the same idea & was looking to let my ATO just start refilling the water I syphon,

The plan will take place tonight with floss, and a 200 micron bag

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a run to the LFS and they had a 200 micron bag, does anyone know if this is going to be more sufficient than plain filter floss? Is the a way to double up the bag on itself to possibly achieve 100 micron filter quality?
It will be better than a 200-micron bag, but not the same as running as a 50 or 100-micron bag. You could always throw some filter floss in the bottom of the 200-micron bag.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 23.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 108 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back