Will the Flames burn my tank?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i released him about 2 hours ago. There is a lil chasingbut nothing too serious. Im still very hopefull. :) dory breaks up the first dance. Midway through the 2nd vid is a short blast of aggression. Ive seen much worse. Ill keep reporting :) i was going to delete the sound but my wife insisted i dont. She loves how "dorky" i am. Lol

Beautiful tank!

How long has it been up?

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank!

How long has it been up?
Started in a 40b for 2 years. Bought a house and a 75 display with a larger sump. Had that set and waiting with cycled sand. And 1/2 full. Moved all water and stock in one day. Including a 30 long dedicated fuge. Been 1.5 years since then.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

20180214_191648.jpeg

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria is the legitimate go to source for accurate information for most of us when it comes to things like tank size.

Agreed. I don't agree with them on everything, but they are certainly more reliable than sites like bluezooaquatics when it comes to recommended tank size. For example sites like Blue Zoo Aquatics Recommend a minimum tank size of 75 Gallons for an Atlantic Blue Tang (reaches between 15-16 inches as an adult) and 75 gallons for the more well known "Dory" Blue Tang which gets 12 inches in length. A Tank 4 feet long and 15 inches wide is no where near big enough to house fish that get that big.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does sound a bit small. :( i was the best bet for my blue tang. I may have to rehome her eventually. Or get a 210! ;)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does sound a bit small. :( i was the best bet for my blue tang. I may have to rehome her eventually. Or get a 210! ;)

You will need to rehome her at some point in the not too distant future (hopefully to a tank of your own). Probably at 6-7 inches it will start getting cramped in that tank and showing more signs of aggression. Also, I may be missing something but it almost looked at a couple of points there like your Yellow Tang was trying to play peace keeper between your two flame Angels (ie inserting itself between the two of them). I found that humorous since Yellow Tangs can be aggressive little buggers themselves. Also I would keep an eye on those two. Right now I think it's working because one is significantly smaller than the other. Once there is some size parity between the two of them, aggression might increase.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the yellow thing was showing the new guy that he is a prominent member it was just not inserting in between the two he was also flaring at the new one buy smaller one would go around them both at times so it looked that way. But the yellow tang in the small flame and the blue tang are the only three that have tried to assert dominance over the new flame.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tang and my blue tang both have spats here and there. Just flashing mainly though

Joe Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had as many as seven pigmy angels in one tank at a time in a 75 gallon tank and in a 240 gallon tank. I introduced them all at once and had no problems. if I try to add one after the others have been in the tank for a while then if the new one is larger there is not much aggression but if the new one is close in size I have had to pull the new fish out before the others killed it. From your video I think you will be fine. if they were going to get after each other it would be right away. Good Luck!

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is a plethora of great info!
As a newbie I have to thank all of you for all the replies

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I had to worked from 10 this morning until 8 tonight. I asked my wife around 5 how they were doing. She said that she did not see much fighting just chasing still and dancing. I came home and noticed that the new flame Angel has a scale or two missing on the top of its head. At first I was afraid they were fighting but then as I watched I noticed that my blue tang was being a bit Snappy. Probably asserting dominance with now the second largest fish in the tank. The two angels were being Chasey more than friendly for a bit so I fed the tank and then clean the glass and shortly after this happened.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also caught him getting intiment with my cleaner shrimp. Think this might work. :)

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So . . .

Have you thought about how you'll collect the eggs and raise the larvae to settlement?

Congratulations ... those two are looking great together!

("Dory", though, seems a bit cranked off . . . )

~Bruce
Havnt even looked into there breeding habits. Thought that might be jumping the gun. Lol

CWR24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I had to worked from 10 this morning until 8 tonight. I asked my wife around 5 how they were doing. She said that she did not see much fighting just chasing still and dancing. I came home and noticed that the new flame Angel has a scale or two missing on the top of its head. At first I was afraid they were fighting but then as I watched I noticed that my blue tang was being a bit Snappy. Probably asserting dominance with now the second largest fish in the tank. The two angels were being Chasey more than friendly for a bit so I fed the tank and then clean the glass and shortly after this happened.

Looking good so far buddy!!

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wont bore you guys with similar vids. Same today. :) lil nippy at times but friendly more often then not. And sycronized swimming at dusk again. :) guess i should start looking into those breeding habits. So cautiously happy!

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought what I was told were a pair about 25 years ago and they swam around my 1000 litre system for around 3 years then one morning I got up I found one constantly attacking the other until I removed it and put it in the sump temporarily but it sadly passed away shortly after.
So if I was you I wouldn't put another into the tank where one already claims it as their area. Buy you could try put both in a qt at the same time with the tank split into two and see how they get on then you could try them in the same tank together.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back