Will the Flames burn my tank?

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very mixed Reef. I have had a flame Angel for about 3 years now who is a model citizen. Or at least for now from what I'm told. I was given a second flame Angel yesterday who is almost twice the size of my original. So put aside that he might be a Coral eater, do you think they will get along? Has anybody ever had a pair of flame angels? Will they destroy each other or my tank? Just wanted to get some opinions before I do the inevitable and see what happens.

20180201_143229.jpg

IMG952696.jpg

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that could be a problem as my display is a 75

CWR24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue myself as to how they'll get along as I've never mixed 2.....especially the same kind.

As for Angels they are probably my favorite for their coloration and amount of movement. Have had various kind of dwarf angels in the past and it's really a coin flip if they'll be eating up your corals.

But the last one a couple years back and was nothing short of a pain in the ***!! And I tore apart quite a bit of rock work in getting him out of the aquarium. So as much as I like them I said never again.

My advice..........save yourself the headache and be happy with the one you have that's on "best behavior". :)

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am such a sucker for punishment. LOL I just looked around at vendors and most places recommend a 30 gallon tank for them. So it's not horribly bad to try to I don't think. I am more worried about them fighting with each other or destroying my Coral. But we'll give it a shot and if it happens I will get rid of him

CWR24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am such a sucker for punishment. LOL I just looked around at vendors and most places recommend a 30 gallon tank for them. So it's not horribly bad to try to I don't think. I am more worried about them fighting with each other or destroying my Coral. But we'll give it a shot and if it happens I will get rid of him

Well good luck my friend. But I do have a feeling you'll be doing a little fishin' soon!! :)

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarf angelfish (all angelfish?) begin life as females, change to males as they mature. If your existing flame is still a female, you've got some hope - use a social acclimation box! If your resident flame has made the transition, two males are far less likely to get along well in 75 gallons. I have heard of people introducing a larger flame to a smaller one with success.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the support Bruce. The new flame is in the acclamation box center tank. Went in last night. So hopefully he will socialize. How long would you recommend leaving him in there

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Maritimer, you may be able to pair them. But if they are both males it most likely will not end well!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you recommend leaving him in there?

The other angel will tell you. Watch her behaviour - if she tries to kill the new guy through the side of the box, keep 'im inside. If the resident ignores the new guy, consider releasing.

Sometimes, a resident will seem OK with a new arrival until he's out of the box, then go on the warpath. If that happens, you can try a mirror at one end of the tank, or placing aquarium nets into the rockwork, handle-down and bag-up. (Nets are the natural predator of aquarium fish, and may help tone down aggression for a bit.)

~Bruce

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that picture is correct I think they are both male :(

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that could be a problem as my display is a 75

Definitely wouldn't want to do 2 Flames in a 75 as 70 is considered the minimum for just one. I have a 90 gallon tank and can't imagine having more than one dwarf angel in the thing, let alone two of the same species. Thanks for posting the gender ID though, that is very helpful. *EDIT* Just found a video of the aggressive butthead that I removed from my tank last year. Definitely a male according to that post.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely wouldn't want to do 2 Flames in a 75 as 70 is considered the minimum for just one. I have a 90 gallon tank and can't imagine having more than one dwarf angel in the thing, let alone two of the same species. Thanks for posting the gender ID though, that is very helpful. *EDIT* Just found a video of the aggressive butthead that I removed from my tank last year. Definitely a male according to that post.
I looked at 5 vendors, only live aquaria recomended a 70. The other 4 all said minimum was 30.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you QT that flame first.Your going to have a stressed tank.Opening yourself up to a tank wipeout.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back