OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought what I was told were a pair about 25 years ago and they swam around my 1000 litre system for around 3 years then one morning I got up I found one constantly attacking the other until I removed it and put it in the sump temporarily but it sadly passed away shortly after.
So if I was you I wouldn't put another into the tank where one already claims it as their area. Buy you could try put both in a qt at the same time with the tank split into two and see how they get on then you could try them in the same tank together.
Really stinks at that happened after 3 years. I would have to think that nobody is safe if they can be peaceful together for 3 years and then turn Rogue. Hopefully, that won't happen to me. I'll take my chances. I appreciate the input though

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When flame angels start out they are all females. Until they get older and they switch to males.
Do they form bonded pairs the way some other fish like clownfish do?
Will the female remain a female even as it gets older?
Or will they always reach the point where they turn male?

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When flame angels start out they are all females. Until they get older and they switch to males.
Do they form bonded pairs the way some other fish like clownfish do?
Will the female remain a female even as it gets older?
Or will they always reach the point where they turn male?

:)

Screenshot_2018-02-24-10-19-30.png

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read / watched this quite carefully, they will be fine IMO.
IME the curved tail is a passive / submissive posture, your original is fine with it, all the aggression appears to be aimed at the tangs!?
I (England) have a special captive bred (not raised) flame, she could swim through egg crate when I got her, I know when she looks submissive with other fish. ;)

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read / watched this quite carefully, they will be fine IMO.
IME the curved tail is a passive / submissive posture, your original is fine with it, all the aggression appears to be aimed at the tangs!?
I (England) have a special captive bred (not raised) flame, she could swim through egg crate when I got her, I know when she looks submissive with other fish. ;)
Thank you for the input. I'm really glad to have more positive reinforcement. LOL I'll bet it was a trip raising a tiny little baby. Kind of jealous there. I don't think I'll try to raise the eggs if they do spawn. However my tank does drain to a 30-gallon dedicated refugium. I wonder if it's within the realm of possibilities that any would survive on their own.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new larger one has periods of aggression. I catch him chasing the little one every now and then. And aggressive manner. But most of the time they are comfortable with each other. And every night at dusk they swim together in a dance of sorts. I think the aggression is just normal spots all of my fish dart at each other every once in awhile.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input. I'm really glad to have more positive reinforcement. LOL I'll bet it was a trip raising a tiny little baby. Kind of jealous there. I don't think I'll try to raise the eggs if they do spawn. However my tank does drain to a 30-gallon dedicated refugium. I wonder if it's within the realm of possibilities that any would survive on their own.

Mine came from probably the biggest wholesale importer in the UK, enquiries have been made, ... I still have no idea where she was actually bred! ;)
As long as they are happy just enjoy them, love mine. :)

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh, I'm so happy for you Wiz, I too, was skeptical in the beginning, but it turned out really good. Nice to see the beautiful happy couple swimming and dancing together.

TangTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great work Wiz.

Can I ask what is that smaller blue fish, with the vertical white bar half way along?

Cheers

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, it is a velvet damsel. They get fairly large for a damsel and can be pretty aggressive. But they are striking fish with the blue
Great work Wiz.

Can I ask what is that smaller blue fish, with the vertical white bar half way along?

Cheers

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I tried to 2. But my wife just had to have that one. He wasn't too bad though. Most of his tank mates were at least semi-aggressive as well so it worked out okay. And he never messed with coral

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small flame in my display tank and recently acquired a larger one in a 'rescue'. It's really gone through the proverbial ringer .... Ich, then velvet then some kind of bacterial infection (thank goodness for CP). Now it's quite thin, but eating well, so if I can get it back to a healthy weight I'm going to try for a pair as well. Display is huge though.

OP
OP
Wiz

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, I hope it goes well. And congrats on saving the poor fish
I have a small flame in my display tank and recently acquired a larger one in a 'rescue'. It's really gone through the proverbial ringer .... Ich, then velvet then some kind of bacterial infection (thank goodness for CP). Now it's quite thin, but eating well, so if I can get it back to a healthy weight I'm going to try for a pair as well. Display is huge though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back