Will this CPCV adapter work?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Cade plumbing has a manifold I'm trying to use to run my carbon reactor.
The coupling on the valve says 1/2" on it but apparently, it's really metric 20mm because when I go to the store, no 1/2" anything fits in it.
But I did find this yellow cpvc spigot adaptor that does fit. The reason is that the spigot end is slightly tapered.
So my question is, would the pvc cement allow for a good enough seal between the tapered spigot and female valve end? This is a pretty low pressure situation.
This pic is a dry-fit of what I'm talking about. Cade Sch 80 Valve --> CPVC adapter --> Threaded barb
Or do I need to spend another $20 to get a metric to standard adapter shipped from BRS.

1679751715302.png

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@d2mini thats got to be frustrating. If it’s an easy to get to spot, I’d try the pvc cement first and see if it leaks. If it doesnt look like it will hold or gives you too much anxiety then spend the $20+shipping

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends...on your definition of 'good enough'.

I'm sure it'll hold just fine with the correct cement/epoxy. You're right, very low pressure in our systems. Once you connect it, test it well (run it against shut valve and run it at highest flow for an hour/day).

Back to "good enough"....if it does leak are you ok with living with the fact you made a bad choice? More importantly do you share your place with someone who's negative opinion of your plumbing abilities could make your life a bit less joyful? And probably most important, did you tell anyone that's likely to shake their head at your DIY skills that you thought it would work? I've done shady stuff that didn't work out but I don't advertise it until the warranty expires so to speak.

I'm kidding mostly because I can see you have a lot of experience. It'll be fine, I'd go for it (still wouldn't speak of it ever again though ;) )

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends...on your definition of 'good enough'.

I'm sure it'll hold just fine with the correct cement/epoxy. You're right, very low pressure in our systems. Once you connect it, test it well (run it against shut valve and run it at highest flow for an hour/day).

Back to "good enough"....if it does leak are you ok with living with the fact you made a bad choice? More importantly do you share your place with someone who's negative opinion of your plumbing abilities could make your life a bit less joyful? And probably most important, did you tell anyone that's likely to shake their head at your DIY skills that you thought it would work? I've done shady stuff that didn't work out but I don't advertise it until the warranty expires so to speak.

I'm kidding mostly because I can see you have a lot of experience. It'll be fine, I'd go for it (still wouldn't speak of it ever again though ;) )
LOL, thank you both. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Really, my only reservation right now is that if it doesn't work out, i will most likely somehow have to replace the end of that valve. Or the whole valve. :rolleyes:

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping. Were you able to figure this one out @d2mini? I'm in the same boat with my new Cade, I want to run a carbon reactor off the manifold but no idea how I'm going to plumb it other than some clear pvc tubing with hose clamps. Would love to see your reactor setup in the sump if you have it going yet!

I've heard plumbing in my Vectra might be equally challenging. Yay metric plumbing!

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralvue has the metric fittings and also conversion fittings. I went through the same nightmare while converting my waterbox from metric to north america common pvc.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping. Were you able to figure this one out @d2mini? I'm in the same boat with my new Cade, I want to run a carbon reactor off the manifold but no idea how I'm going to plumb it other than some clear pvc tubing with hose clamps. Would love to see your reactor setup in the sump if you have it going yet!

I've heard plumbing in my Vectra might be equally challenging. Yay metric plumbing!
I believe Bulk Reef Supply has an adapter for about 12 bucks. But I didn't need anything else at the time so I just used what I found pictured above and it works great. No problems. I don't have the reactor itself hooked up right now. I don't run it all the time. But here is the top of the reactor sitting where the reactor would normally be inside the sump.
And this is the reactor. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fr-s...-biopellets-carbon-hang-on-back-aquamaxx.html

IMG_2857.jpeg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back