Will this manifold set up theoretically work? (Need help plumbing first reef tank)

youramigojake

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 17, 2022
Messages
23
Reaction score
13
Location
Folsom
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my sump set up for my 40 gallon reef tank. I’ve never plumbed a tank before but have done a lot of research. I reduced the reactor connection from 1 inch to 1/2 for the most pressure.

The one thing I’m most worried about is the Refugium manifold because it’s parallel with the return line or does it not matter ?

I don’t have a lot of space so the way I did it seemed to be the most obvious option but just want to make sure I’m not missing out on pressure if I’m doing it wrong. Thank you :)

C5FDE337-E122-494B-98BC-48EA6D82F940.jpeg
 
45°s reduce pressure less than 90°s but not by enough to make any significance. It looks good and should work well.
 
45°s reduce pressure less than 90°s but not by enough to make any significance. It looks good and should work well.
Thank you for the response ! Yes I’m thinking of using less 90’s for more pressure. Those 90’s are very easy to get carried away with
 
Unless that's glued already, id swap the ball valves for gate valves, especially at the reactor and refugium. And id put one on the overflow inlet as well...
Yes! That’s a great idea. I’ve heard these ball valves give out over time and are hard to adjust properly. This was just a dry fit to see what I could come up with. I’ll definitely get those gate valves :) thank you for your reply!
 
One thing to keep in mind is that pressure should not be your intent when it comes to reactors. Depending on what you plan to run through it. Carbon can handle higher pressure, and gfo you're gonna want less pressure. A gentle roil vs. wide open flow.
The thing that bothers me is I'd want dirty water going to the fuge before it goes through ANY filtering, excepting mechanical- socks or fleece roller, etc. Your fuge, if you're planning macro algea or pods well, they need that dirty water from up top. The fuge is a filter, a prefilter even as well as everything else.
I would want the fuge to dump into the skimmer section if anywhere vs. the return pump. You're gonna have to either baffle the fuge overflow or put up a screen to keep the fuge things in the fuge...also maybe darken the lid of the sump or you're gonna have algea everywhere down there...
 
One thing to keep in mind is that pressure should not be your intent when it comes to reactors. Depending on what you plan to run through it. Carbon can handle higher pressure, and gfo you're gonna want less pressure. A gentle roil vs. wide open flow.
The thing that bothers me is I'd want dirty water going to the fuge before it goes through ANY filtering, excepting mechanical- socks or fleece roller, etc. Your fuge, if you're planning macro algea or pods well, they need that dirty water from up top. The fuge is a filter, a prefilter even as well as everything else.
I would want the fuge to dump into the skimmer section if anywhere vs. the return pump. You're gonna have to either baffle the fuge overflow or put up a screen to keep the fuge things in the fuge...also maybe darken the lid of the sump or you're gonna have algea everywhere down there...
Thanks for the tips! It seems like most videos on YouTube have the Refugium after the filter socks and skimmer to keep the pods from getting sucked into the skimmer so they can reach the display tank easier. I guess I haven’t thought about it like that before and can definitely see the benefit to doing that too.

The reactor will just be for carbon so If I dial the pressure a little too high I’m hoping it’ll be okay. The Refugium will definitely get a screen and a baffle or 2 to keep the algae and what not in place. Thanks so much for the help.
 
Thats the beauty of diy, you decide where things go and how it should run.
20250310_015555.jpg


Hard to tell but fro. Right to left is filter socks, fuge, skimmer and reactors, and finally the return on the far left. This is a 29g because its all that would fit. With a fiji sump kit i installed.
 
And i never put a lid on it. One for gas exchange and 2 because i love algea growing everywhere. Granted the tank was still cycling, but now its green everywhere except the return section because no light gets over there. It the one black baffle. Everywhere else though has tons of algea.

I wouldnt be too concerned about the pods getting to the display tank, they'll find their way up there no problem. And if your really wamt to you could just seed the display tank at the same time as the sump.
 
A few comments:

1) plumbing doesn’t increase the pressure your pump provides. The pump has a max flow. Things like smaller lines and elbows increase the head pressure, slowing the flow. That has the effect of decreasing the flow at an end point like your reactor, which decreases the pressure there. If you’re necking down plumbing or adding 90s to increase pressure inside the reactor, those measures will have the opposite effect. I agree with the note above that the reactor doesn’t need high pressure. It just needs enough flow to tumble the media, which isn’t much. If you overdo the flow, you’ll pulverize the carbon into fines, which could get into your tank.

2) the refugium looks like it’s sitting on a block that’s smaller than its base and focuses the weight of the tank on the bottom glass. That may be just a temporary setup for the picture but, before adding water, make sure the refugium is sitting on a sturdy base that is as big as or bigger than the tank bottom so the weight of the tank is spread out on its frame. Otherwise the bottom will likely break.

3) if space allows, I’d put the refugium a little higher to allow room for a vertical drop in the line returning water from the refugium to the sump. I’d also reduce all the elbows in the refugium drain line to the sump. Ideally you want water from the refugium to have a very simple drop into the sump. I’d also terminate that pipe just slightly below the water level in the sump. Having it run all the way to almost the sump bottom could create air lock — a pocket of air in the pipe that the drain flow can’t purge, causing the drain to back up.

4) consider putting multiple drains from the refugium to the sump. A single line like you show will inevitably get blocked by macroalgae or some other refugium inhabitant and the refugium will overflow. An overflow box inside the tank with a weir will help with that. The interior side of the Fiji Cube overflows would fit for an application like this. Or you can just build a box of egg crate and use some zip ties to attach it to the wet side of the refugium drain bulkhead. The idea is to stop any algae or critters from blocking the pipe.

This is all in addition to the good tips other responses provided, which are all good ideas.
 
A few comments:

1) plumbing doesn’t increase the pressure your pump provides. The pump has a max flow. Things like smaller lines and elbows increase the head pressure, slowing the flow. That has the effect of decreasing the flow at an end point like your reactor, which decreases the pressure there. If you’re necking down plumbing or adding 90s to increase pressure inside the reactor, those measures will have the opposite effect. I agree with the note above that the reactor doesn’t need high pressure. It just needs enough flow to tumble the media, which isn’t much. If you overdo the flow, you’ll pulverize the carbon into fines, which could get into your tank.

2) the refugium looks like it’s sitting on a block that’s smaller than its base and focuses the weight of the tank on the bottom glass. That may be just a temporary setup for the picture but, before adding water, make sure the refugium is sitting on a sturdy base that is as big as or bigger than the tank bottom so the weight of the tank is spread out on its frame. Otherwise the bottom will likely break.

3) if space allows, I’d put the refugium a little higher to allow room for a vertical drop in the line returning water from the refugium to the sump. I’d also reduce all the elbows in the refugium drain line to the sump. Ideally you want water from the refugium to have a very simple drop into the sump. I’d also terminate that pipe just slightly below the water level in the sump. Having it run all the way to almost the sump bottom could create air lock — a pocket of air in the pipe that the drain flow can’t purge, causing the drain to back up.

4) consider putting multiple drains from the refugium to the sump. A single line like you show will inevitably get blocked by macroalgae or some other refugium inhabitant and the refugium will overflow. An overflow box inside the tank with a weir will help with that. The interior side of the Fiji Cube overflows would fit for an application like this. Or you can just build a box of egg crate and use some zip ties to attach it to the wet side of the refugium drain bulkhead. The idea is to stop any algae or critters from blocking the pipe.

This is all in addition to the good tips other responses provided, which are all good ideas.
Thank you!! Yes I agree with all of that. The block under the Refugium was just a box to see what height I want, but I’ll build an actual stand for it.

Also the thought of two lines coming from the Refugium is definitely a great idea. Definitely don’t want that overflowing and crashing the tank.
 
Yes! That’s a great idea. I’ve heard these ball valves give out over time and are hard to adjust properly. This was just a dry fit to see what I could come up with. I’ll definitely get those gate valves :) thank you for your reply!
They're definitely hard to adjust. A little turn goes a long way on a ball valve. Gate valves are smaller movement per turn.
 
This is my sump set up for my 40 gallon reef tank. I’ve never plumbed a tank before but have done a lot of research. I reduced the reactor connection from 1 inch to 1/2 for the most pressure.

The one thing I’m most worried about is the Refugium manifold because it’s parallel with the return line or does it not matter ?

I don’t have a lot of space so the way I did it seemed to be the most obvious option but just want to make sure I’m not missing out on pressure if I’m doing it wrong. Thank you :)

C5FDE337-E122-494B-98BC-48EA6D82F940.jpeg

Are you keeping you refugium on top of that box that way?
 
Are you keeping you refugium on top of that box that way?
No it’s just to see what height I want: I will build a stand for it before water is put into the system:)
 
Not sure how you're planning to plumb the return line to the refugium, but keep in mind the glass on that small tank is most likely tempered, so you can't drill it.
 
Not sure how you're planning to plumb the return line to the refugium, but keep in mind the glass on that small tank is most likely tempered, so you can't drill it.

Good catch. I hadn't noticed that; I thought the bulkhead was already installed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new