Will this rear sump work

Aegean_Islander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20210308_164836.jpg

If I drill a hole down low in the first chamber (circle with blue), and put a pump as a secondary return, will this design work?
Trying to rule out possible problems. Something doesn't seem right with the first baffle. Will it be safer if the first baffle has the sane height with the overflow?
Reason I'll want a second return pump is that I dont want circulation pump in the display and second, dont want to place 2 pumps in the last chamber to avoid a tsunami in the refugium.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting your skimmer in with your main return pump is not a good idea because the levels in that chamber will fluctuate to a certain extent. And I am confused about your image. Looking at it you have an arrow pointing right, is this the direction of the flow? Which side is from the overflow?

OP
OP
Aegean_Islander

Aegean_Islander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The arrow is a mistake.
Overflow is on the right with the skimmer and a secondary return pump. Main return pump is in the left. My concern is will the first chamber work if I drill a hole low for added flow.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confused. Is this an all in one tank? Is it a hang on back refugium? Is the blue hole near the bottom where the water will enter the sump or exit the sump?

OP
OP
Aegean_Islander

Aegean_Islander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be a AIO tank. Water will enter from the blue hole and via tubing return at a higher position. I thought that pulling from water from near the bottom to the chamber with the skimmer would be beneficial.
Trying to troubleshoot this but something doesn't seem right. Maybe a second overflow over the first baffle at the same height as the main overflow.

I want a turnover of 700-800gph. But I'm unaware if a 8cm*3cm cut overflow will be enough. Second thing is I would like to restrict some flow to the refugium.
Thats why I added two return pumps (to split turnover from refugium) and a second intake (blue hole will help overflow)

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would work as is. Having the water intake that low is going to hamper the surface skimming of the overflow. I personally would try to increase the overflow size or add another one on the other side.

It may also have some issues with micro bubbles in the display tank. That's because all of your baffles pictured flow over the top. The water needs to flow down somewhere so the bubbles float and leave the water flow. However, I don't see how you're going to make an over under baffle with your return pumps on both sides. Having said that, bubbles in the water wont hurt anything. I would probably eliminate the baffles completely and use something like aquamesh filter pads or lighting diffuser to separate the refugium algae from getting in the return pumps.

OP
OP
Aegean_Islander

Aegean_Islander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubbles will indeed be an issue.
As for a mesh/foam baffle at the refugium I think it wont do if I haveca deep sandbed.

I also though of doing two overflows, one small in the left chamber entering the fuge and a bigger one on the right chamber for the skimmer. Both chambers will overflow then to the middle chamber were I can have as much pump return I want.

OP
OP
Aegean_Islander

Aegean_Islander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ditch the bottom hole in the first chamber I guess something like this would be OK
IMG_20210309_182150.jpg

With this design I could play with as much circulation as the overflow can give me but limiting the turnover inthe refugium with a T valve on one pump.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back