Will this stocking idea work for 10g nano reef?

Austin Mullis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to do a nemo inspired tank, so I'm wanting to have: An ocellaris clown, a Yellowtail damsel in place of a tang, and a royal gramma. I've also always wanted a ywg but heard they can a bit aggressive towards gramma's since they both hide in the rocks, and that clown gobies are a good substitute, plus their smaller with less bioload.

Several Questions: A: Is this too much stock? Or will i just kind of have to wing it over time to see if my tank can handle the bioload? Technically with the 1" per gallon rule i should be fine, but i know its just a rule.
B: Will the fish all get along/what order would i add them to the tank to curb aggression?
C: Will a clown goby pair with a pistol shrimp? Will the gramma eat the pistol shrimp?

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 10G, I’d say go with 2-3 fish. You will appreciate that in the long run.

Clownfish pair take up the entire territory. Then a goby Shrimp pair. That’s it.

Different tanks have different goals. Either or, from an aggression and bioload perspective, I’d stick with those options.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A. 10 gallons is a really small space. Almost all fishes that we keep will have a recommended minimum tank size greater than 10 gallons.

As far as bioload, that can be handled with water changes, filtration, carbon dosing, a sump with macro, etc. "inch per gallon" rules are nonsensical.

B. The trouble I see is with the damsel and clown (which is also a damsel). I don't think that will work long term. The clown, gramma, and goby are compatible...but...again...that's a really small space.

C. Clown gobies don't pair with shrimp. A gramma won't eat a pistol shrimp.

OP
OP
Austin Mullis

Austin Mullis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replies. I wasn't really planning on a pair of clowns, as i dont want them breeding.
Also didnt know clown's are damsels. Wasnt sure if the clown goby would pair with shrimp or not. I didnt think it was a shrimp goby but one source mentioned pairing them with shrimp so i wasnt sure.
Also i heard of one tank (not sure of the size) but it actually had that exact stocking, clown damsel goby and gramma which kind of got my hopes up. So the main issue is tank size and not compatibility? Because i may be able to go up a little higher tank size with the equipment i have, but i may try to stick with the 10 for a while and upgrade.

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replies. I wasn't really planning on a pair of clowns, as i dont want them breeding.
Also didnt know clown's are damsels. Wasnt sure if the clown goby would pair with shrimp or not. I didnt think it was a shrimp goby but one source mentioned pairing them with shrimp so i wasnt sure.
Also i heard of one tank (not sure of the size) but it actually had that exact stocking, clown damsel goby and gramma which kind of got my hopes up. So the main issue is tank size and not compatibility? Because i may be able to go up a little higher tank size with the equipment i have, but i may try to stick with the 10 for a while and upgrade.

I can’t say abt Damsels and clowns. I had this combo for a few months 2 clowns, Gramma, Goby, Wrasse and a Tang in my 45. Each of them have a specific need and I was able to provide that.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back