Will this stocking plan work?

Ebtbmom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g cube and I’d like to have a mixed reef eventually. For fish I’m thinking:

2 clown
2 pj cardinals
Tiger OR court jester goby
Yellow tail (hopefully nice) damsel

What order would you introduce these and do I wait to add coral until they are all “home”?

I’m trying to stay with Biota or ORA which is limiting, but the tank is only 40 so I can’t go crazy anyway!

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you'll be good. I have a Domino Damsel important note I have seen it in mine they are territorial and aggressive. Free advise get the damsel young as they get aggressive as they age so if you get the other fish when the damsel is young he won't mess with the others as adults.

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for order... Clowns,Cardinals, Damsel or Goby. I also suggest you have plenty of hiding places in the rocks for damsel and cardinals to call home as well as space for a large coral colonie or anemone(I suggest bubble tip) for the clowns. And a sand bed 1-2in for the goby.

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40g cube and I’d like to have a mixed reef eventually. For fish I’m thinking:

2 clown
2 pj cardinals

What order would you introduce these and do I wait to add coral until they are all “home”?

I’m trying to stay with Biota or ORA which is limiting, but the tank is only 40 so I can’t go crazy anyway!
Actually, the order that you listed would be a good one. Get the clowns in there and have them hosting something either an anemone or an LPS. That way they'll have home base and won't raz anything. They can also get your tank going and fully get it through cycle with a really strong set of fish.

Once you get through that I'd go for the next two at the same time. The Clowns by then should have their spot and the other fish can work out out among the space left. The clowns will rule their space. I'd get the damsel last and consider a small (very small) one because a larger one will pick at the other fish. If they work it out as a small fish typically problems won't develop in the future with bullying.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
looks good

OP
OP
Ebtbmom

Ebtbmom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, the order that you listed would be a good one. Get the clowns in there and have them hosting something either an anemone or an LPS. That way they'll have home base and won't raz anything. They can also get your tank going and fully get it through cycle with a really strong set of fish.

Once you get through that I'd go for the next two at the same time. The Clowns by then should have their spot and the other fish can work out out among the space left. The clowns will rule their space. I'd get the damsel last and consider a small (very small) one because a larger one will pick at the other fish. If they work it out as a small fish typically problems won't develop in the future with bullying.
This is a brand new tank without any coral yet. Do I need coral before getting the clowns? I thought fish went in first but there’s so much conflicting advice!

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tails can be mean and aggressive. I had one and had to take back to lfs and I even added him last to my tank he was harassing my male clown. So just be careful with the damsel they look awesome but can be mean as hell

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2 clown
2 pj cardinals

I would do the goby first. These are peaceful fish and usually don’t do well with too much stress that can be brought on from established Clowns or other aggressive fish. These will also stay close to the bottom so they won’t bother the newcomers who will all be in the top or middle of the water column.

Next I’d do the two cardinals after Atleast 2 weeks to see how the tank is doing. These will also be peaceful or should be Atleast so it’ll give them time to establish territory. Once these guys have established a territory, you can add the two clowns and let them settle. However, you don’t want to give them too much time to get comfortable and instead may want to try add the damsel in not extremely long after the clowns. This is due to Clownfish and Damsels being in the same family and being closely related. The damsel being introduced last will reduce aggression from him but if it’s done within a week or even a few days of the clowns being added then it should be even better as the clowns won’t be overly aggressive.

Once you have them all in, try and just monitor how the tank does with so many new fish, ideally you’d want to try get these done in a few months if not a year or two (And the time periods can be turned into months/years) however you may not want that.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back