Will this work as a base?

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I am upgrading my tank to an Aqueon 20 long. It is replacing my 13 gallon widescreen that sits on my granite counter top. I have an issue that I may have solved, just wanna run by the experts. The granite has bullnose edges. The width of the flat part of the countertop before it starts to curve is 12 and 1/4 inches. The width of the 20 gallon is 12 and 1/2 inches. ;Bored I imagine that would stress the tank and dont feel comfortable with that, correct? Im thinking of cutting a piece of plywood subflooring...the super thick 1 and 1/8 inch stuff slightly larger than the tank bottom. Will this work, or is flexing an issue? 99.9% of the board would be on the flat surface? Or, am I overthinking this and ditch the plywood idea?

Thanks!!

chvvkumar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

So I am upgrading my tank to an Aqueon 20 long. It is replacing my 13 gallon widescreen that sits on my granite counter top. I have an issue that I may have solved, just wanna run by the experts. The granite has bullnose edges. The width of the flat part of the countertop before it starts to curve is 12 and 1/4 inches. The width of the 20 gallon is 12 and 1/2 inches. ;Bored I imagine that would stress the tank and dont feel comfortable with that, correct? Im thinking of cutting a piece of plywood subflooring...the super thick 1 and 1/8 inch stuff slightly larger than the tank bottom. Will this work, or is flexing an issue? 99.9% of the board would be on the flat surface? Or, am I overthinking this and ditch the plywood idea?

Thanks!!
Does it have to be on the counter? Would a cheap metal stand work?

I have this stand under my 20 long and it has been rock solid over the past 7 years I've had it.

OP
OP
Jman76

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For something that close, I would use a piece of 3/4” plywood, sealed really well, between the tank and counter to fully support the 20g. A 1/4 overhang is easily handled by 3/4” plywood.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That small an overhang for that sized tank is probably not an issue, cantilever strength. maybe I'll ask my son the mech engineer. I would use the 3/4 plywood for other reasons though. I would make it a tiny bit wider though say 12 3/4, to serve as a bumper for objects, belt buckles, chairs, random boxes etc that might chip/crack the edges leading to a caststrophe. Also, granite is unforgiving and if a tiny rock or piece of metal got trapped beneath the tank it could serve as a pressure point and lead to cracking. It might get wet beneath the tank or sweat and after a long time (1 or 2 yrs) leave a permanent rectangular stain impossible to get out. As said above, make sure it is well treated.

chvvkumar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That small an overhang for that sized tank is probably not an issue, cantilever strength. maybe I'll ask my son the mech engineer. I would use the 3/4 plywood for other reasons though. I would make it a tiny bit wider though say 12 3/4, to serve as a bumper for objects, belt buckles, chairs, random boxes etc that might chip/crack the edges leading to a caststrophe. Also, granite is unforgiving and if a tiny rock or piece of metal got trapped beneath the tank it could serve as a pressure point and lead to cracking. It might get wet beneath the tank or sweat and after a long time (1 or 2 yrs) leave a permanent rectangular stain impossible to get out. As said above, make sure it is well treated.
Can you use a leveling mat on top of the plywood? That would reduce water damage to the wood and keep your tank cushioned.

hikermike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use a leveling mat on top of the plywood? That would reduce water damage to the wood and keep your tank cushioned.
Yes. Leveling mats are new to me I have them under my new Aquatops and love them. The 2 times I've moved the tanks (Ihave 3 Aquatops) they were dry under the mat..

OP
OP
Jman76

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the replies, I tend to overkill sometimes, hence the 1 1/8" lol. 3/4 is much easier. Curious on what you guys would use to seal, maybe elastomeric or epoxy? Leveling mats are new to me as well, will look into that for sure. Thanks!

chvvkumar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the replies, I tend to overkill sometimes, hence the 1 1/8" lol. 3/4 is much easier. Curious on what you guys would use to seal, maybe elastomeric or epoxy? Leveling mats are new to me as well, will look into that for sure. Thanks!
Leveling mats are almost a necessity for rimless tanks. I don't think they offer much for tanks with bottom braces (as the bottom glass pane site a few millimeters above the surface it's on).

Back