Will zoa smother or kill SPS?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got these zoa going crazy on the back rock and encroaching on some digita and Mille. Will the zoa irritate and hurt these two? I have seen Mille get pretty aggressive and I care about those two corals more than the zoa but I think it would look awesome having zoa “grass” under these two trees. The mat of zoa looks like a nightmare to remove. Please advise
IMG_0502.JPG
IMG_0501.JPG

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a fast growing zoa they will absolutely smother and shade sps at the base which will lead to stn. I had to get rid of some rocks with zoas on it because i had to constantly cut them back or they would kill the base of my acropora

OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a fast growing zoa they will absolutely smother and shade sps at the base which will lead to stn. I had to get rid of some rocks with zoas on it because i had to constantly cut them back or they would kill the base of my acropora

I don’t like your answer![emoji24] guess I got some choices to make

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t like your answer![emoji24] guess I got some choices to make

That seems to happen a lot in this hobby. Eventually I had to remove my sps from the rock and sell the rock because I was tired of manually removing zoas. Good thing is if it comes to this take it to a lfs and try to get some store credit for the rock

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to depend on the species and also the amount of encrusting, though that last one could just be my imagination. I see a lot of things from that photo that have been banned from my sps tank. If you like your acropora best, you will want to reconsider star polyps, montis and zoatnhids on the same rocks as Acropora. It can work in some cases, I don't see this as being one of them...

OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to depend on the species and also the amount of encrusting, though that last one could just be my imagination. I see a lot of things from that photo that have been banned from my sps tank. If you like your acropora best, you will want to reconsider star polyps, montis and zoatnhids on the same rocks as Acropora. It can work in some cases, I don't see this as being one of them...

Yea it stinks. The GSP is at least on the back glass and not on the rocks and I keep it trimmed but the zoa’s arrrrg! I guess I am gonna have to remove the whole rock

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got these zoa going crazy on the back rock and encroaching on some digita and Mille. Will the zoa irritate and hurt these two? I have seen Mille get pretty aggressive and I care about those two corals more than the zoa but I think it would look awesome having zoa “grass” under these two trees. The mat of zoa looks like a nightmare to remove. Please advise
IMG_0502.JPG
IMG_0501.JPG

My rules with zoanthids now... If I don't like them enough to have a whole rock full, I don't add them to any of my tanks.

ectoaesthetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen both things happen. Typically the taller zoas with larger heads will shade the base and create issues. I’ve not yet seen any zoas engage in warfare with a monti or Acro (it’s probably been witnessed -but I’ve ne Er seen it). But as stated above they can shade the bottom of the encrusting base. That being stated I’ve also seen them live totally peacefully when the zoas are a smaller species. You might luck out on this one...

Hockey Stick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had an issue with zoas smothering any of my acros. I always took the precautions though and made backup frags just in case ;)

OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the last two answers it gives me hope. I really like the purple and blue with brown skirt of these zoa and would love for everyone to get along. That being said I just bought a 100.00 ASD Rainbow Milli and going to put it on the top of that rock and I would hate to see it get killed

eggwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock that has acros, montis and zoa on it. I constantly trimm back the zoa so that it doesn’t smother acros and montis and it sorta works lol. I mounted these corals before I knew any better.
It’s best not to mix these corals and also give enough space between different acros on same rock. I now know better and won’t do the same thing for my next setup.
56935a48db66b7b4864c2b7494e4fc92.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back